cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex / Card Experienced Members ONLY!

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Amex / Card Experienced Members ONLY!

@Anonymous wrote:

Alright, so here is the math.

If I spend

Year

Groceries: 15,000

Gas: 1,800              

Other: 42,000

Other: 24,000

not including restaurants and department stores.

Total 82,800

EDP: 6000*4.5=27,000+13500=40,500.....1800*3=5400.....66,000*1.5=99,000... [EDP caps groceries at $6,000 total spend on that category in a year]

Total=144,900 Bonus 15k signup=159,900

BCP: 6000*.06=360+90=450......1800*.03=54......66,000*.01=660... [BCP caps groceries at $6,000 total spend on that category in a year.

Also, second critical point, if the "grocery store" is Costco, Wal-mart or Fred Meyer, or several other "mixed sales" stores, it is not groceries to AMEX, in any of EDP, ED, BCP, BC, Old Blue Cash (the 5% one), Hilton, PRG, or any other. Similar issues with many gasoline stations. So for both Groceries and Gas, you have to watch how AMEX actually codes those.]

Total= $1,164.00 +150 signup bonus= $1,314.00

BC : 6500*.005= 17.5+30=32.5......47.5...15,000+1800=840.....59,500*.01=595....

Total=$1,467.50

Split the 59500 to another card that offers more than 1% on other.

Basically the BE with a combination of another card for the Other will give me the most yield. This would be the best deal unless someone can show me I can get a First class 5-8k dollar ticket for 159k miles.

Edit*

OMG k, nevermind. Just looked up a flight on Delta that is a roundtrip10,311 to London for Delta One and it only cost 292,500 miles and 543 dollars. I guess Miles are worth more

Many of us consider that statement it "only costs 292,500 miles and $543" a reason to cry. But if you don't know what the miles redemptions were before, and that those miles redemptions aren't coming back, then there's no harm Smiley Happy  If you can get 3c per mile on a Delta flight, and have 300 large in miles to do so, go for it.

Your AMEX points also transfer to Flying Blue, so I'd suggest taking a look at the redemption value of those MR points on Flying Blue, to just about anywhere,

Unfortunately, other than AMEX, there's no other Points earning card that covers Grocery and Gas for any significant return. Chase UR points earned on the Freedom card get 5 UR points on Groceries and Gas, but those are each only 3 months out of the year, and each capped at $1,500 spend in that quarter. Not bad, but you aren't going to get to monster point values this way.

In answer to your previous post, depending on your spend patterns, and on your redemption for various airlines or hotels, many people find the cash back option much less stressful, much easier to follow, and clearer to understand where the redemption goes. There is something to be said for having $400 in cash back, and shopping for the absolute best deal to where you are planning on going or staying, instead of turning the equation around and finding out where the best redemption is for 25,000 points, and letting that determine where you go for your holiday.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 51 of 59
redpat
Senior Contributor

God help us all, I can't read this thread any longer.....It's like watching a bad train wreck, lol

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 52 of 59
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@NRB525 wrote:

In answer to your previous post, depending on your spend patterns, and on your redemption for various airlines or hotels, many people find the cash back option much less stressful, much easier to follow, and clearer to understand where the redemption goes. There is something to be said for having $400 in cash back, and shopping for the absolute best deal to where you are planning on going or staying, instead of turning the equation around and finding out where the best redemption is for 25,000 points, and letting that determine where you go for your holiday.

+1

This describes me to a "T".  Lots of folks are able to make MR points work - and work well - but for me cash rewards just work out better.   

Another benefit to cash rewards is that you're not limited to just one program.  I'm currently collecting cash rewards from Sam's Club MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and Capital One. 

• The Sam's Club MasterCard gives me 5% cash back on gas, 3% on restaurants, and 3% on anything travel related (airlines, hotels, etc.). 

• Amex BCP gives me 6% back on groceries, and 3% back at department stores. 

• Discover gives me 5% back on the various quarterly categories (doubled to 10% the first year).

• Quicksilver for 1.5% cash back on everything else. 

Again, this is just personal preference, but definitely something to look at.  Smiley Wink

Message 53 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

+1

This describes me to a "T".  Lots of folks are able to make MR points work - and work well - but for me cash rewards just work out better.   

Another benefit to cash rewards is that you're not limited to just one program.  I'm currently collecting cash rewards from Sam's Club MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and Capital One. 

• The Sam's Club MasterCard gives me 5% cash back on gas, 3% on restaurants, and 3% on anything travel related (airlines, hotels, etc.). 

• Discover gives me 5% back on the various quarterly categories (doubled to 10% the first year).

Again, this is just personal preference, but definitely something to look at.  Smiley Wink

Very well said both of you. So now that I have truly decided to comit to points/miles cards because I seen that I can fly in style. I don't understand the gold or platnum card from Amex that link with Skymiles. Do i get autoupgrades for lesser tickets? I tried to read but still lack understanding. It is better if someone explains.

I want to be able to fly for cheap and get upgraded to the best class with access to lounges. If I need a better card for that, please advise and in the future, maybe 6months from now, I will apply for it. If Delta is not the airline to choose, please let me know. Explain please.

Message 54 of 59
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

+1

Very well said both of you. So now that I have truly decided to comit to points/miles cards because I seen that I can fly in style. I don't understand the gold or platnum card from Amex that link with Skymiles. Do i get autoupgrades for lesser tickets? I tried to read but still lack understanding. It is better if someone explains.

I want to be able to fly for cheap and get upgraded to the best class with access to lounges. If I need a better card for that, please advise and in the future, maybe 6months from now, I will apply for it. If Delta is not the airline to choose, please let me know. Explain please.

OP, you really need to read about travel cards and their benefits, access to lounges and premium travel benefits will require a bigger annual fee and more spend.  Amex plat, Citi Prestige, Citi AA Exec and Chase United Club to name a few, read about them, don't keep asking first.  Not every can travel like a king because to the cost and if you don't have business travel to subsidize your rewards it becomes even harder.  

To get auto upgrades you really need a status level with an airline, you have a long way to go and a lot of flying to get to these levels.  

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 55 of 59
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand your desire to learn about the various programs (and more specifically, the American Express MR program) but stating "explain please" without telling us specifically what you're confused about gives the impression that you haven't done any reading up on the programs at all, which I doubt is the case - at least I hope not.

Coming from a training background, I can also say that it will be much more efficient (and likely get a more positive response from the community) if you ask specific, detailed questions.  It will help others help you if we better understand what it is that you're having trouble with or are confused about.  I can fill this page with links leading to webpages for the various frequent flyer programs and the American Express MR program, but I don't feel that's what you're looking for.

Finally, if your questions are frequent-flyer related, you would likely be better off seeking help on a forum that caters to frequent-flyers.  This forum is geared toward credit card related matters, and while there is some overlap with credit card rewards, you might have better luck with your questions if posted on a site that is designed specifically for that.

Message 56 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand your desire to learn about the various programs (and more specifically, the American Express MR program) but stating "explain please" without telling us specifically what you're confused about gives the impression that you haven't done any reading up on the programs at all, which I doubt is the case - at least I hope not.

Coming from a training background, I can also say that it will be much more efficient (and likely get a more positive response from the community) if you ask specific, detailed questions.  It will help others help you if we better understand what it is that you're having trouble with or are confused about.  I can fill this page with links leading to webpages for the various frequent flyer programs and the American Express MR program, but I don't feel that's what you're looking for.

Finally, if your questions are frequent-flyer related, you would likely be better off seeking help on a forum that caters to frequent-flyers.  This forum is geared toward credit card related matters, and while there is some overlap with credit card rewards, you might have better luck with your questions if posted on a site that is designed specifically for that.

I have seen the Platnum card and I read the benefits but I still do not know how that apply's. Is it directly to just paying or can I use MR and still get the upgrades. If you don't want to answer, or can't answer due to lack of experience or maybe you do not have that type of reward cards, that is fine. I know what the cards offer but I do not know how they work. Please post all the links as you said so I can maybe learn from others. Specifically, being redundant,  I am interested in taking the card and using the MR, will that gain me access to first class and lounges. If not, would I have to use CC to pay for it to get the benefits. Are there better cards that offer better benefits than the platnum. I have read most cards and still have no idea. This forum states I can talk about credit cards and anything inbetween. Thanks, much appreciated.

P.S. I thought I was specific the first time

Message 57 of 59
NRB525
Super Contributor

Well, you were specific the first time, but what we are telling you, it is not a one-sentence answer we can give you.

By Platinum card, do you mean the AMEX Platinum Charge card? or the Delta Platinum SkyMiles card? Here's a run down of the cards I am aware of, as a starter:

1) Delta Gold SkyMiles card. Gets you the ability to buy a day pass into a Delta SkyMiles lounge for half price. First checked bag free. Early boarding privledges. First year AF waived. If you have not flown Delta on a regular basis, I'd start with this card. It's relatively easy to get, gets you a jump on some nice perks, low AF, so low money commitment, and you can learn about the Delta SkyPesos (I mean SkyMiles) program. Nothing like jumping into the shallow end of the pool to start learning to swim.

2) Delta Platinum SkyMiles card. Similar to Gold SkyMiles, this has a larger AF, but you do get an annual companion pass so you can get a relatively free ticket for a trip for two. If your spend is as large as you anticipate, this card can be considered, because it gets you Medallion Qualification Miles earned from that spend, which is part of the Medallion Status earning you are looking at. First year AF not waived, but I think that companion pass is avilable soon after, so may be worth it to you and your SO. Also gets access to SkyClub lounges, but for the half-price fee.

3) Delta Reserve SkyMiles card. Steep annual fee, free access to SkyClub lounges, so if you fly multiple times per year, it may be worth it. Also has the booster for MQM earnings, and I think it has a companion pass, but research before quoting me.

4) AMEX Platinum card. Steep annual fee, not waived the first year, broad range of lounge access, Hilton Gold status, free access to Delta lounges when flying on a Delta flight that day, other perks for travel. Does NOT earn miles toward MQM on Delta. Does earn MR points that can be transferred to Delta and other partners. Airline Fee credit of $200 reduces the sting of the AF.

5) AMEX Premier Reward Gold. AF waived first year. No access to lounges. Earns 3 MR points on airline tickets. 2 points on gas groceries dining (previously discussed). $100 airline fee credit per year. Looks sharp.

note that NONE of the credit cards available for ANY of the airlines will buy you into free first class tickets, none will buy you into Platinum Frequent Flyer status. Only miles flown will do that, ultimately. However, the airline cards WILL get you within spitting distance of first class benefits, and it's often easier to just buy that first class ticket, if that's what you want, because you will earn mega miles for the cost. The airlines are generally moving to a "revenue based" earning and redemption model, which means there are accelerators for spending more on a first class ticket vs steerage (you get multiples more points for first class), but then the higher redemption points requirements for those first class redemptions.

If you are planning to stockpile 300,000 miles for one first class ticket a year, that's a lot of work to get one first class ticket a year. It saves money yes, on that ticket, but you are still on the same one flight with all of us in steerage.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 58 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

Well, you were specific the first time, but what we are telling you, it is not a one-sentence answer we can give you.

By Platinum card, do you mean the AMEX Platinum Charge card? or the Delta Platinum SkyMiles card? Here's a run down of the cards I am aware of, as a starter:

1) Delta Gold SkyMiles card. Gets you the ability to buy a day pass into a Delta SkyMiles lounge for half price. First checked bag free. Early boarding privledges. First year AF waived. If you have not flown Delta on a regular basis, I'd start with this card. It's relatively easy to get, gets you a jump on some nice perks, low AF, so low money commitment, and you can learn about the Delta SkyPesos (I mean SkyMiles) program. Nothing like jumping into the shallow end of the pool to start learning to swim.

2) Delta Platinum SkyMiles card. Similar to Gold SkyMiles, this has a larger AF, but you do get an annual companion pass so you can get a relatively free ticket for a trip for two. If your spend is as large as you anticipate, this card can be considered, because it gets you Medallion Qualification Miles earned from that spend, which is part of the Medallion Status earning you are looking at. First year AF not waived, but I think that companion pass is avilable soon after, so may be worth it to you and your SO. Also gets access to SkyClub lounges, but for the half-price fee.

3) Delta Reserve SkyMiles card. Steep annual fee, free access to SkyClub lounges, so if you fly multiple times per year, it may be worth it. Also has the booster for MQM earnings, and I think it has a companion pass, but research before quoting me.

4) AMEX Platinum card. Steep annual fee, not waived the first year, broad range of lounge access, Hilton Gold status, free access to Delta lounges when flying on a Delta flight that day, other perks for travel. Does NOT earn miles toward MQM on Delta. Does earn MR points that can be transferred to Delta and other partners. Airline Fee credit of $200 reduces the sting of the AF.

5) AMEX Premier Reward Gold. AF waived first year. No access to lounges. Earns 3 MR points on airline tickets. 2 points on gas groceries dining (previously discussed). $100 airline fee credit per year. Looks sharp.

note that NONE of the credit cards available for ANY of the airlines will buy you into free first class tickets, none will buy you into Platinum Frequent Flyer status. Only miles flown will do that, ultimately. However, the airline cards WILL get you within spitting distance of first class benefits, and it's often easier to just buy that first class ticket, if that's what you want, because you will earn mega miles for the cost. The airlines are generally moving to a "revenue based" earning and redemption model, which means there are accelerators for spending more on a first class ticket vs steerage (you get multiples more points for first class), but then the higher redemption points requirements for those first class redemptions.

If you are planning to stockpile 300,000 miles for one first class ticket a year, that's a lot of work to get one first class ticket a year. It saves money yes, on that ticket, but you are still on the same one flight with all of us in steerage.

Thanks friend, you always help me with great advice Smiley Happy

If i Could vote you greatest poster of the year I would ! 

(no offense to other great posters)

Message 59 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.