Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Carrying balance

tag
abundancejones
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Carrying balance

How long did they carry a balance though? And were they making more than the minimum payments?

Message 11 of 15
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

I don't know the specifics, but I'd imagine they paid the minimum sometimes and other times paid more.

People are so scared about AMEX and FR or revolving balances...there is no need to worry about these things. Use the cards the same as you would any other card and go about your day, and if the time ever comes when AMEX wants to slam the FR hammer than comply (you shouldn't worry because you were honest anyway right!) or don't and close the cards and take your business elsewhere.
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 12 of 15
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

Thanks for the replies all interesting. I can understand why a high balance & min payments could be seen as a risk.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 13 of 15
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@MoreRewards wrote:
I vaguely remember seeing somethings about Amex not liking you to carry a balance? I'm not for sure of this so really asking. I know every lender is different but if they are issuing a credit card vs one of their charge cards I wouldn't understand this.

I have never had any issues with my bcp and having an balance report . 

Reporting a balance and carry a balance with minimum payments are different shoes. Reporting a balance is normal for most customers only here people report 0 balance and this is not the normal use of a card for 99% of the cardholders.

Message 14 of 15
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Just to silence some of the myths.  My wife has had her AMEX blue cash everyday card for 8 months.  She did her 3X increase on day 61.   She's been carrying a balance ( $2000?  ) for the past two months.  

LO AND BEHOLD auto CLI from AMEX two days ago.  Her CL went from $3000 to $4200.  

So six months after her 3X increase AMEX showed more luv.  

I am t hinking that maybe the best way for auto cli is to carry a balance.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.