Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Charge Card Balance

tag
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

Amex Charge Card Balance

I know Charge Card doen't affect your utilization % but yesterday when It reported a 227 balance it drop my creditkarma score by 10pts! Do you guys pay off your charge card balance before statement or let it report?

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Charge Card Balance

You shouldn't worry about CK's point system.  Just use them for free monitoring and alerts.

Message 2 of 23
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

You shouldn't worry about CK's point system.  Just use them for free monitoring and alerts.

+1000

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 23
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

+1000

+ 10'000 

Message 4 of 23
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@CredittotheMax wrote:

I know Charge Card doen't affect your utilization % but yesterday when It reported a 227 balance it drop my creditkarma score by 10pts! Do you guys pay off your charge card balance before statement or let it report?

I ALWAYS pay off my AMEX cards before the due date, sometimes making several payments a month depending on the card and charges.  I have never carried a balance on my charge cards, even though I have the pay over time option with the Gold. 

Message 5 of 23
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Paying off before the statement is looked at two ways. A balance reporting can let an UW know you soent a lot of money that month, or it can report a high balance and give them an idea of what your internal limit is on the card.
Message 6 of 23
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

I didn't care much about CK score because my creditsecure score didn't change at all. I usually let my firstt balance post on all my credit cards, but most likely I'm gonna start paying before statement ends. 

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 7 of 23
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@CredittotheMax wrote:

This is the question I am strugling with tonight, I have a balance of $802 on my Zync card, the statement will cut tomorow, should I pay it now or wait for 2 days, or a week? In anycase the bill will be paid long before the due date.  I know published AMEX policy says they don't care just want to maximize my internal score with them.  I want a CLI on my AMEX Blue which I have been denied for twice now, once after a CLD for carying a balance during the zero percent period.   The money is sitting in my checking account as it has been as each charge was made earning interest.

BTW, just PIF  AMEX Blue 4 days before the statement close date, and won't be used again till next billing cycle. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 23
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

You got a cld for carrying a balance on BCE?!?
What was the util on it?
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 23
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Even though it doesn't factor into utilisation, it still counts as an account with a balance. I would not be comfortable with a 5 or 10 thousand balance reporting, no matter what it did to utilisation.

@Open123 wrote:

Chase frequently used the Vantage score, so that score is at least something to care about on there.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.