Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Charge Cards - Firm 'Due Date' Starting January 2017

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Amex Charge Cards - Firm 'Due Date' Starting January 2017

I got a letter a few weeks ago from American Express with an update on some of the fine-print on my PRG, and honestly I didn't think too much of it.  However my latest billing statement served as a reminder to go back and check things out, and I found something that might be notable to some people.

Historically, American Express charge cards (Green, Gold/PRG, Platinum, etc.) have had a "Please pay by" date rather than a due date.  It's been common knowledge that you could safely ignore this 'suggestion' and as long as they got the payment before the new statement closed you would be fine. 

Apparently that's changing January 2017.  Smiley Indifferent

The language from the letter states (among other things)...

Effective January 1, 2017 you must pay at least the Minimum Payment Due no later than the Payment Due Date to avoid a late payment fee.  We are also removing from this section the sentence that reads "Each Statement also shows a Next Closing Date".

This is the "reminder" on my bill:

amexpaychange.png

I'm actually OK with this as long as they will let us change the due date, since my current "Please Pay By" date is about a week before payday.  In the past this wasn't a problem since there was some 'flexibility', but if the new "Payment Due Date" is the same this could restrict how and when I use my PRG.

I'm posting this here so that if anybody missed the notice they won't get hosed up in January if their payment date changes.  Smiley Wink

(Note that part of the letter was decicated to explaining a change to the MR program; apparently effective January 1, 2017 it will be possible to have a negative MR point balance in the event of a return or a clawback that is greater than your MR point balance.  I always assumed this was the case before... apparently it wasn't, though.)

Edited to add:  Disclaimer - I'm writing assuming that these changes aren't unique to me but are global, but there's always the chance they are rolling this out more slowly.  There's also the slight chance I am singled out, but I don't think that is the case.  If you're in doubt and this change would impact you, you might consider reaching out to an Amex CSR directly for clarification.  Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Charge Cards - Firm 'Due Date' Starting January 2017

I finally got back into the Amex family on 11/3 when I was approved for the Green card. I received the card on 11/9, made my first purchase 11/16 and my first statement cut on 11/18. Talk about a fast turnaround.  The Please Pay By date was 12/3.  I called CS and asked them to please change my due date to the 7th of the month as like UncleB, this would coincide better with my paycheck also.  I remember the rep was telling me it wasnt  "due date" but for some reason, this was not registering with me. Anyways, the rep changed the payment date foor me.

I never would have noticed this without this post

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 38
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Meanmchine wrote:

I finally got back into the Amex family on 11/3 when I was approved for the Green card. I received the card on 11/9, made my first purchase 11/16 and my first statement cut on 11/18. Talk about a fast turnaround.  The Please Pay By date was 12/3.  I called CS and asked them to please change my due date to the 7th of the month as like UncleB, this would coincide better with my paycheck also.  I remember the rep was telling me it wasnt  "due date" but for some reason, this was not registering with me. Anyways, the rep changed the payment date foor me.

I never would have noticed this without this post

+1

My PRG has a "Please Pay By" date of the 30th, which doesn't work for me at all.  Ideally I would have the date to be the middle of the month like it is for my BCP and Delta Gold; hopefully when January comes around I'll be able to get them to change it, assuming they don't change it anyway.

With my luck if I had them to change it now it would be changed to something equally inconvenient in January when it changes from a 'suggestion' to being 'mandatory', so I'm going to let the dust settle and see where it lands (or if it changes at all), then reach out to them.  I'm very happy to hear they are able to change the 'Please Pay By' date... that's a good sign that they'll be equally able/willing to change the 'Payment Due Date' once it's assigned!  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info Uncle B. Several months back I called Amex to see if I could change my payment date and was told about the flexibility of paying after the "pay by" date which is the 1st of the month for me and statement cut date of the 17th. The 1st has never worked for me, but since I share a bank account with BF I've been able to use that account to run the payment through, then do an external transfer the next week to replace the funds. Hope I'm able to change my due date as I hate having to do this.
Message 4 of 38
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the info Uncle B. Several months back I called Amex to see if I could change my payment date and was told about the flexibility of paying after the "pay by" date which is the 1st of the month for me and statement cut date of the 17th. The 1st has never worked for me, but since I share a bank account with BF I've been able to use that account to run the payment through, then do an external transfer the next week to replace the funds. Hope I'm able to change my due date as I hate having to do this.

+1

I'm in almost the exact same situation.  Smiley Happy

I'm hoping that once they change from a 'Please" date to a "Due" date that they will automatically push it out a little bit... it makes sense, anyway.  If not I'll be reaching out to a CSR to see if they can 'fix' it for me. 

In a way it will be better, since it always felt 'weird' paying after the "Please" date, even though I knew it was really OK. 

Message 5 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still confused. So instead of the "please pay by" which you could skip as long as you paid before the next statement closing. They are now making an actual firm payment due date? Just like those on a regular credit card.
Message 6 of 38
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm still confused. So instead of the "please pay by" which you could skip as long as you paid before the next statement closing. They are now making an actual firm payment due date? Just like those on a regular credit card.

In summary that's exactly what my letter states.  It even acknowledges that previously you could make the payment by the next closing date, but that's changing in January 2017.

They are also changing the late fee from 2.99% to a flat-amount like their revolving cards.  It will be $27 for the first time you're late, then $38 if you're late again within six months.

This will be an adjustment, but as long as we're aware of it it can be easily worked around.  I got a letter several weeks ago detailing the changes (which I put to the side) but then there was a reminder on my last bill, which prompted me to go back and read more carefully. 

Assuming I'm not being singled out (?) and that they aren't doing a gradual roll-out, nobody will be able to say that they weren't warned (by Amex, I mean... since they are putting notices on the billing statement as well).

Message 7 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that their policy has seemed contradictory to making sure payment is made by due date. My Platinum and BCP are my go to cards and the majority of my spend goes through those two cards and I don't want to do anything that negatively impacts my relationship with Amex. Happy Thanksgiving Uncle B.
Message 8 of 38
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I agree that their policy has seemed contradictory to making sure payment is made by due date. My Platinum and BCP are my go to cards and the majority of my spend goes through those two cards and I don't want to do anything that negatively impacts my relationship with Amex. Happy Thanksgiving Uncle B.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!  Smiley Happy

Something I haven't considered is if they make the statement closing date the new "Due Date"... that would actually keep the status-quo, but just clarify the language so that it would be clear when the payment is "really" due. 

That scenario would be ideal, but until we know more it's just speculation. (Pooka, are you around??) 

Message 9 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. I didn't know it says that on the statement or there is a difference to the "Please Pay By" and "Payment Due Date". I never really paid any attention to them since I'm on paperless statements and pay multiple times a month so it'll be zero balance by closing date.

I did, however, went back to all of my statement on my 6 AMEX accounts.

1. All credit cards (Hilton HHonors Surpass, SPG Preferred, AMEX Delta Platinum and AMEX Delta Reserve) have Payment Due Date on them. 

2. Business Platinum Card - Payment Due Date already went into effect with November statement.

3. Personal Platinum Card - will most likely take effect with January due date.

Thanks for the heads up. I may have to look closer to see if I can change my due dates on them. 

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.