Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Charge Cards

tag
Rossdaniel87
Established Member

Re: Amex Charge Cards

One big reason is, in some scoring models, charge cards don't effect your utilization.
Personal:

Business:

Closed:too many to list
Message 11 of 21
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why have one?

You can't just poll to determine these things.  It's never just about the card itself but one's specific needs/wants and how well a given card suits the individual.  It's like this with any topic -- not just charge cards.

One possiblity would be those that have a significant amount of charges that are reimbursed.  Since charge cards don't factor into revolving utilization for current scoring models it keeps that spend from impacting revolving utilization.

There's also the matter of specific card benefits.  AmEx charge cards aren't all identical.  Those that have the Platinum find its premium benefits useful.  It's touched on a bit earlier in this thread but there isn't just one Platinum and the Platinum variants (Mercedes Benz, Ameriprise, Morgan Stanley) have differences in their benefits that some may find suits them well.  My wife has the MS Platinum and the first AU has no AF whereas the other Platinums have an AF of $175 for the first AU.  PRG cardholders tend to find that its bonus earn categories suit their spend categories and volumes.

Those that find Membership Rewards beneficial have the sort of spend (categories and voulmes) that benefit from MR and can leverage redemption options that yield high value for MR points.

It's really up to you to sort out what you need/want and to determine if any given solution suits you.  We can certainly help with specific questions but expecting us justify a card for you is a bit much and you're going about it backwards.  Help us understand your needs/wants and we can guide you to suitable cards.

@Anonymous wrote:

You have to pay an annual fee and are FORCED to pay in full each month (I PIF my credit cards anyhow, but have the option to carry a ballance). I just dont understand the upside of a charge card. 

You can Pay Over Time with AmEx charge cards if you qualify but we wouldn't recommend using the POT feature.  Charge cards and credit cards aren't mutually exclusive.  There are many that find both useful.

@Anonymous wrote:

I just dont understand the upside of a charge card. 

Then don't get one.  Cards aren't one-size-fits-all.  If any card doesn't work for you then move on.  Don't put the cart before the horse by selecting a card and then trying to justify it.  Start out with your needs/wants.  Then find cards that suit you based on those requirements.

@creditguy wrote:
Charge cards are not for everyone and if you are not a traveler they more than likely aren't useful to you, especially the platinum. I think a good percentage of people simply get them for sign up bonuses and cancel before their next AF kicks in. Another percentage get them because they have looser UW standards and want the mythical in with Amex. Some get them because they think it's prestigious to carry one and the others get them because they are very useful. Weigh each cards benefits and costs and apply accordingly, or don't if it doesn't work.

Bonuses are certainly a reason as well though with the once per lifetime policy they're not suited for churning.

Easier underwriting is another popular reason.  A lot of people assume that getting an AmEx charge card makes it easier to qualify for an AmEx credit card though.

"Image" and "prestige" are reasons as well though neither come from a card.

Message 12 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why have one? Is there some benifit other than an initial offer of points or rewards?

You have to pay an annual fee and are FORCED to pay in full each month (I PIF my credit cards anyhow, but have the option to carry a ballance). I just dont understand the upside of a charge card.

Please let me know why you have one.

I have an Amex Business Platinum card. For me it's been almost a total waste of money. But for people who travel a lot on business, it's got all kinds of advantages which make it worth the annual fee.

In general I don't particularly see the point in having a charge card when you can have a credit card; it seems to me that anything that can be accomplished with a charge card can also be accomplished with a credit card, and have the advantage of not having to pay it back immediately.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 13 of 21
redpat
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why have one? Is there some benifit other than an initial offer of points or rewards?

I have an Amex Business Platinum card. For me it's been almost a total waste of money. But for people who travel a lot on business, it's got all kinds of advantages which make it worth the annual fee.

In general I don't particularly see the point in having a charge card when you can have a credit card; it seems to me that anything that can be accomplished with a charge card can also be accomplished with a credit card, and have the advantage of not having to pay it back immediately.

But you loved it when you got the 100k MR sign-up bonus I bet........Bottom line you are right you need to travel a lot to like.  

The nice feature about the Bus Plat it gives you 1.30 on airfare booked.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 14 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

But you loved it when you got the 100k MR sign-up bonus I bet........Bottom line you are right you need to travel a lot to like.  

The nice feature about the Bus Plat it gives you 1.30 on airfare booked.

I don't recall what bonus I got, if any. I wasn't paying attention to that kind of stuff.

Nor do I know what happened to the points.

So far, after paying $1350 in fees, the only benefits I can recall receiving are 3 visits to airport lounges.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 15 of 21
redpat
Senior Contributor

I don't recall what bonus I got, if any. I wasn't paying attention to that kind of stuff.

Nor do I know what happened to the points.

So far, after paying $1350 in fees, the only benefits I can recall receiving are 3 visits to airport lounges.

Why haven't you closed it?  At lease after yr 2.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting thread. I never understood the point of charge cards either until I realized they come with certain perks and benefits that are useful. 

I have the Platinum and find it useful for the perks - Global Entry credit, primary car insurance, priority pass, trip cancellation/delay insurance, $200 annual travel credit. I'm also looking forward to using the first class International companion ticket feature. I travel quite a bit so this card suits my needs... but... I was recently approved for the Ritz Carlton credit card and this card has many of the same perks and features.

So early next year I will have to see if the Platinum is a card I need to keep. I may end up taking the $200 travel credit and cancel b4 my annual fee hits again...... but it's too soon to make that decision. 

Just my two cents.... 

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I ditto the others that said the cards are pretty. I have one of each!! That being said, here's the perks I use on each card:

Platinum:

1. Airport lounges. Haven't used it yet but it's nice to have it when it's there.

2. Rental car benefits. This card has already paid for itself in this regard. 

3. Stellar emergency roadside service. Where AAA said "Ummm..." Platinum said "Taken care of".

4. $200 airline reimbursement

5. TSA PreCheck $85 reimbursement

6. Very pretty Smiley Wink

PRG:

1. 3x points on direct airline purchases

2. 2x points on gas, restaurant and supermarket purchases

3. $100 airline reimbursement

4. Prettier than the Platinum Smiley Very Happy

I'll pay $645 a year for these two cards. Bit much, but again, the benefits I use on the cards make up for that and then some.

As always, YMMV

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

PERKS! For me the Platinum is only for the perks. I think if you dont travel the card probably isn't for you. In the last 90 days I have used my Global Entry, Centurion Lounges, purchase protection and airline credit fee.

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Use it in place of your debit card and it becomes a debit card that you pay a month or so later with all the protections and benefits of a credit card.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.