Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Charge Payment Question

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Amex Charge Payment Question

I tried googling and found mixed answers and chatted with a rep from Amex to help confirm this but i am a worry wart and like additional confirmation from others on this please. 

So DH and I have a PRG and we are able to pay the full balance today. (Due Date) However we would feel more comfortable paying 70% of the bill today and the rest before the statement closing date. (Feb. 10th) I confirmed with a rep and they said that would be fine. Amex offers a 15 day grace period on charge cards, and do not charge any late fees and account will remain in good standing as long as the card is paid before the statement closing date. I tried going through the T&C of the card but couldn't find a whole a lot besides it says we give you 30 days to pay. But i noticed they usually ask for payment like 15 days after the closing date. So was the Amex rep right? Just wanna make sure.

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
sunkissed
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Charge Payment Question

Skye, the Rep is correct on this.  The "please pay by" date is earlier than the actual due date. Payment must be made by the next statement close date..

There's a recent thread on the topic: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/For-Amex-charge-card-holders-when-do-you-pay/td-p/44256...

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 2 of 4
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Oh i didn't even see that. Thanks!
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 4
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

I tried googling and found mixed answers and chatted with a rep from Amex to help confirm this but i am a worry wart and like additional confirmation from others on this please. 

So DH and I have a PRG and we are able to pay the full balance today. (Due Date) However we would feel more comfortable paying 70% of the bill today and the rest before the statement closing date. (Feb. 10th) I confirmed with a rep and they said that would be fine. Amex offers a 15 day grace period on charge cards, and do not charge any late fees and account will remain in good standing as long as the card is paid before the statement closing date. I tried going through the T&C of the card but couldn't find a whole a lot besides it says we give you 30 days to pay. But i noticed they usually ask for payment like 15 days after the closing date. So was the Amex rep right? Just wanna make sure.

You may also want to look into the "Pay Over Time" feature available, usually by invitation from AMEX.  A chat/phone call with AMEX could determine if you would be eligible for this feature.  I have it but have only used it once, and basically for what you're looking to do.  You have an option to pay over several months, but at a high interest rate.  This used to be AMEX's "Sign and Travel" feature, but was available back in the day only on travel expenses.  Has since grown to include many other expenses in the POT plan.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.