Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Charge Vs. Delta Sky Miles

tag
Elcid89
Contributor

Re: Amex Charge Vs. Delta Sky Miles

@Tommy5746 wrote:

Which do you think is harder to get? An Amex charge card or the Delta gold sky miles card?? I hear the sky miles isnt that difficult but do you guys think that its easier or harder to get vs an amex charge?

I think the more relevant question might be: Who in the world wants miles on Delta?

Quite possibly the worst airline in the world Smiley Happy

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 11 of 18
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

@Tommy5746 wrote:

Which do you think is harder to get? An Amex charge card or the Delta gold sky miles card?? I hear the sky miles isnt that difficult but do you guys think that its easier or harder to get vs an amex charge?

I think the more relevant question might be: Who in the world wants miles on Delta?

Ha!  This is true.  In my (admittedly) limited world of travel, Delta has been by far the worst experience.  Flying through the Atlanta hub was a nightmare filled with delays, the planes were old/loud/cramped, and the staff was very rude.  Never again! 

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 12 of 18
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@TNTransplant wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

@Tommy5746 wrote:

Ha!  This is true.  In my (admittedly) limited world of travel, Delta has been by far the worst experience.  Flying through the Atlanta hub was a nightmare filled with delays, the planes were old/loud/cramped, and the staff was very rude.  Never again! 

There is a lot of speculation recently that Delta will be moving to a revenue-based mileage program in 2013. If they do, that'll kill the majority of the value that is left. I'd proceed with caution on this one.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 13 of 18
CardinalRules
New Contributor

To answer the OP, I think Amex charge cards are definitely easier to get. That said, the Delta card is one of the easier revolvers to get from Amex. I applied for a charge card and then the Delta right after with one year of history and was approved for both. If you have clean reports, and a 720+ credit score, you should be good. As always, YMMV. 

AMEX SPG - $8k
Citi AA Visa - $6.5k
Walmart Discover - $5.5k
Citi Forward - $3.9k
Discover More - $2.5k
Wells Fargo Cash Back - $1.9k
Message 14 of 18
distantarray
Established Contributor

@RonDawg wrote:

@Tommy5746 wrote:

Here is a good example... When I applied for my BCE card it took 3 days to approve me however when I applied for PR Gold charge card I was approved in 10 seconds and 30 minutes later I got an email telling me they were rushing out my card. I got it FedEx the next day.

well they can afford to next day you after the 175 annual fee Smiley Tongue

and to answer OP yes Charge is much easier cause they're supposed to be paid in full faster. Also they set an internal limit even for NSPL so there is a limit especially for new accounts.   Of course they're not gonna let a Amex anything besides Black buy a decent sized private island on it.

Easiest card to get is Delta Skymiles but undoubtly the worst card in Amex, impossible to redeem awards for more than 1.1 cent value. but it is the easiest to get, and then you can product change it to a BCE/BCP so yea. DO IT! also if you go through Delta skymiles you can turn the miles bonus into 1 penny a mile so collecting the sign up bonus adds up more than going with BCP so that'snice.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 15 of 18
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

How do you figure it is impossible to redeem for more than 1.1 cent per mile? Delta has issues but there are plenty of decent redemption opportunities. It's one of the best programs for premium tickets to Australia.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 18
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

i was instantly approved for zync npsl a few months back and appd delta gold last week, but really thought i would be declined due to repo. was instantly approved with $2800 cl. the miles/point conversion suck, but until i can get a southwest chase visa, it will have to do.
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 17 of 18
jsucool76
Super Contributor

#SlightZombieThread!

Charge cards are def easier, but I've heard of some pretty borderline applications getting approved for delta. Seems to be their lowest end revolver. 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.