Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Charge cards question

tag
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

Amex Charge cards question

If I get PRG for the promo and cancel it before the end of 1st year, and decide to open it again a few years later for another promo, will I be able to use the same account number to have it show up on my CRs as the same account or will I get a different number each time I get a charge card?

How about PRG open -> close and then opening another charge card like Platinum a couple years later. Same account number or different?

[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Charge cards question

@kkapdolee wrote:

If I get PRG for the promo and cancel it before the end of 1st year, and decide to open it again a few years later for another promo, will I be able to use the same account number to have it show up on my CRs as the same account or will I get a different number each time I get a charge card?

How about PRG open -> close and then opening another charge card like Platinum a couple years later. Same account number or different?

They will all be different account numbers 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
Apinzon2374
Regular Contributor

But at least they will be backdated.

Capital One Quicksilver | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday
Scores: EX: 725 | TU:742
Message 3 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 9
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

I'm just concerned about having too many TLs showing up on my CRs unecessarily. If I open a card that I previously closed, I didn't want to have to add another TL but oh well.

[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 5 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@kkapdolee wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

I'm just concerned about having too many TLs showing up on my CRs unecessarily. If I open a card that I previously closed, I didn't want to have to add another TL but oh well.

TL's don't really matter how many you have and in your case it just causes changes AAoA

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 9
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

TL's don't really matter how many you have and in your case it just causes changes AAoA

Another thing I don't like about closing accounts is uncertainty of when they will drop from my CRs. I hear it's usually 10 years but can be before that? That's something out of my control and I don't want to get surprised when I most need credit like when I'm getting a mortgage or something.

[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 7 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@kkapdolee wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

Another thing I don't like about closing accounts is uncertainty of when they will drop from my CRs. I hear it's usually 10 years but can be before that? That's something out of my control and I don't want to get surprised when I most need credit like when I'm getting a mortgage or something.

It can be 10 years or even longer. If you are obtaining Amex cards to offset the potential drop, I think you have it covered for the most part. 

Message 8 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@kkapdolee wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

Right now I have one thats 12 Yrs old reporting 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.