Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Charge limits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Charge limits

What kind of limits does Amex typically give on established Charge cards (specify Green, Gold or Plat). DH has had his 2 months, they shut him down on month 1 when his balance hit 3,200 (totally understandable on first month). 2nd statement just cut with only 1,400 balance, so they never shut him down. We check the avail spend occasionally just for fun and it looks like they would approve 3,000 more at this point for 4,400 max. Just curious as to the limits folks have seen without POT option.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Charge limits

I checked right after I got the card to see if they would approve 10k spend and they said they would.   Haven't tried to check anymore than that.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The last time I checked spending power was in advance of a furniture purchase of roughly 25k. I had 1k in charges to date on my Platinum in the statement period, entered the requested amount, and got the approval. Underneath, it said, "In fact, you're approved to spend $99,500," or something similar.

Basically, it will grow as much as you use it, and then some. I doubt I've ever had more than 15k in charges in a statement period on that card, but my total account (including business cards) has been over 150k after statement cut.

Message 3 of 19
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Most months it'll approve $17,500. Sometimes it goes up to $25,000. Don't really care as I won't be charging anywhere near that so long as the parentals keep paying tuition 🤞🏽

Message 4 of 19
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

Build up some spending history, and it will increase.  I don't use my Plat like I thought I would, and my Delta and Surpass cards have much higher limits as a result.  Not interested in the pay over time option, so zero balance has become routine.  Am Ex wants high usage, and consistent payment history; they will treat you well.  Enjoy!

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 5 of 19
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

When I got my PRG I checked and was able to get a 7000 purchase approved. It's gone down more than half since then. I could not spend more than a grand in a month though...

Message 6 of 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

For established accounts, as long as Amex is comfortable in your ability to pay the sky seems to be the limit.  The highest I've tried on my Platinum card for a single purchase (via Check Spending Ability) is $75,000 and Amex said they would approve it.  My highest balance on that card in 15 years is around $20k or so.  Before I got my Starwood card, 95+% of my spend ($4-10k every month for years and years) was on one of the two charge cards, so I've certainly established history with them.

Message 7 of 19
driftless
Valued Contributor

My PRG, now Platinum, is a year old.  I put $3 - 7K through it a month.  I have checked for $35K and it was approved, haven't check for higher as I would never use it.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel like the "check spending" feature for a NPSL card is a red flag in and of itself...
Message 9 of 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I feel like the "check spending" feature for a NPSL card is a red flag in and of itself...

I wasn't sure which way you meant this, so I'll respond to both ways I think this could be taken. If you were referring to the NPSL, the P is for Preset - they do all have limits in the Amex system that can vary depending on numerous factors.  If you meant the button itself, it's been confirmed that it's OK to test it out just a little bit, and for those who need to make a large purchase it can be invaluable to know that their card will not be declined and it makes Amex aware that they should expect a large purchase.  In fact, with one of the recent updates it was noticed that they were even offering things like "Congratulations! We'll approve your charge of $15,000. In fact, we'll approve up to $25,000."

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.