Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Check Your Spending Ability...Calling all guinea pigs

@smallfry wrote:

@fused wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

I would stop doing it actually. 

Do you know something that we don't know?Smiley Happy

Unless you have a charge card it is senseless. If you have a charge card and want to get a idea whether a charge would clear then that's fine. I wouldn't play with it like a kid with a car window though. They keep track of everything.

I'm picturing getting a phone call from Amex:  "Mr. Nimble!  Would you PLEASE stop PLAYING with that button THIS INSTANT!"

Message 11 of 33
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I had some fun playing with that button. Assuming its accurate, I was surprised that Amex would approve such large purchases. 

Message 12 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have a charge card but I have the Amex Clear Credit card. My credit limit is $3,200. 

So I put in $4,300 and it said it would be approved. I think this thing is broke.

Message 13 of 33
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have a charge card but I have the Amex Clear Credit card. My credit limit is $3,200. 

So I put in $4,300 and it said it would be approved. I think this thing is broke.

Welcome to the forums!

Whoa!!!!!!!! Yes, about as broken as the FICO score simulator.Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

To resurrect this thread I played with that function within 2 days of setting up my online account lol.

I put 10k to see what would happen. Rejected.

A week later I put in 2500 and it was approved. 

I didn't really know the significance of what I was doing, I was just messing around Smiley Tongue

Message 15 of 33
JRomulus
Regular Contributor

Fits with what we know about Amex's approach to charge card spending limits-- you really don't have one with them until you generate some history.  Then, the amount they'll approve would seem to be a function of your history with Amex, your current credit situation as discerned by their monthly soft pulls on your Experian and the income information provided on your application. 

If you list bank account information on their site for auto-pay, etc., I believe that gives them the ability to see what your current bank account balance is, which along with your payment history may or may not help increase what they are willing to approve.

Message 16 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do think this card (CLear) is? I am planning to get this next month.

Message 17 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just checked it and put in $30,000, which was a number that I was sure would get denied and it said it would be approved. Either Amex loves me or that thing is broken!
Message 18 of 33
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

JRomulus: Do you think AMEX has access to look into our accounts? I don't think they do...

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 19 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt they can see banking info but I've also heard of them pulling all manner of reports to check up on people (beyond major bureaus), chek
systems perhaps being the most common. They can also get a good idea of certain tangible assets. But you have to get yourself flagged by a computer before anyone goes hog wild. I've heard that playing with a certain button can help to expedite such an occurrence Smiley Wink
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.