Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Clear CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Clear CC

What do you guys think of the Amex Clear card. I am trying to insure I have some real credit cards along with the charge cards. Any experience with approval requirements when applying.

Credit limits etc 

Thanks Chaps

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Clear CC

It's a good card, but you should compare the benefits with other revolvers.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you recall i recently got approved for the Gold Prem. Charge. Any thoughts on the applying for this CC time wise etc? 

Message 3 of 5
shiftomnimega
Regular Contributor

Since I always PIF I never take a look at APR or anything except rewards.  As far as rewards go, Clear is as plain jane as it gets.  Mere 1% for everything in the form of a gift card that is mailed to you automatically whenever you spend $2,500.  I have moved to a multi-card system in an attempt to maximize rewards.  

I think the best thing about Clear was that I had missed a payment last Christmas and since I PIF the month prior they waived the fee and never reported it.  Not sure if that only works with Clear or if it is with all AMEX Credit Cards, but I'm not exactly looking to find out either.

Message 4 of 5
score_building
Senior Contributor

@shiftomnimega wrote:

Since I always PIF I never take a look at APR or anything except rewards.  As far as rewards go, Clear is as plain jane as it gets.  Mere 1% for everything in the form of a gift card that is mailed to you automatically whenever you spend $2,500.  I have moved to a multi-card system in an attempt to maximize rewards.  

I think the best thing about Clear was that I had missed a payment last Christmas and since I PIF the month prior they waived the fee and never reported it.  Not sure if that only works with Clear or if it is with all AMEX Credit Cards, but I'm not exactly looking to find out either.

PIF here too but insist on the lowest rates available to me from each lender as a measure of due diligence.

If a card holder otherwise has all duckies lined up in a row Amex does seem to show a pattern of forgiveness on 1st late instance, they also reportedly sometimes don't report neg info from lateness until 60 days, at their sole discretion.  +1 on not trying to find out just how forgiving they can be though!

Have had Clear for several years and like the simplicity...generally find the idea of spending more than a few seconds on strategizing for a mere1-2% 'rewards' somewhat objectionable so the 1% is easy, breezy, but nothing special.  The Clear card offers a free FAKO w/ a credit report once a year.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.