Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Clear CLI, post CLD

tag
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Amex Clear CLI, post CLD

As I was logged in on the American Express website, I noticed the credit limit increase option had disappeared. I've had my Clear for close to 3 years (February is the anniversary). My initial CL was $8900, which was CLD'd to $1000 last year during the credit crunch. I've only let Credit Secure charge on it monthly to keep it active, and I've always PIF'd (I purchased a couple plane tickets on it pre-CLD). 

I decided to call in and see if I received the option for CLI. I requested a CLI to $2500 on the automated system, and was instantly approved. I'm pretty stoked, as I haven't read much about CLI's from Amex on the forum in a long while. 

Awesome! I'm going to have to show this card some action!

Here we go again...
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Clear CLI, post CLD

I suppose it's also worth noting that I have an Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card, and use it for pretty much all my purchases (except for where Amex isn't accepted). I run about $2000 a month through it.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 12
okiesean
New Contributor

I used to have an Amex card years ago and have considered reopening it lately for the backdated opening date on my credit reports. Do you like the Gold Premier Rewards card? Years ago they had a LOC for the charge cards to revolve on and you could tie your Optima Credit card limit or LOC to the Green and Gold charge cards. When they quit that I closed my card. My question is since the card is fee free for the first year(Gold Rewards Premier), can you earn mileage points easily? Are they easy to deal with on transfering points to award programs? Any pluses or minuses you might want to share? My main idea is to open a Rewards Premier card for one year fee free and the next year PC to the Zinc card with a 25$ annual fee and let my cell phone bill auto debit to it or something like that so I have a card open with them. I dont suppose you can transfer your Gold card monthly charge balance to your Clear card can you? I use to charge it all on the Amex Gold card then transferred my balance to the Optima LOC and then the third month paid in full. Diners Club use to give you 60 days to pif too. Man those really were the good ole days. Smiley Happy     Sorry for the reminiscing.
Message 3 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Hey, Fretless, how's it going?

Do you still like your Clear? Have they changed the rewards on it?

I cautiously went the online request version for a CLI on my Blue and got it. Being the weenie that I am, I just asked for 2X.

Glad to hear that they're at least partially restoring your original CL!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 12
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Hiya Hauling, I hope all is well! Things couldn't be better!

I rarely use the Clear. I used it to book a flight today though since they raised my CL. I'm at 1400 or so points, and I'd like to at least get to 2500 once to get the gift card. It's a straight 1 point per dollar card, nothing too exciting, so I don't think they have much reason to slash the rewards. At least I hope not. I was thinking about switching it to Blue Cash, but never made a decision. I normally use my Gold card, and as dumb as it sounds, the Clear card is just plain cool looking. 

Didn't they slash the rewards on Blue Cash? My brain is telling me that I saw the 1.5% turn to 1.0% a little while back, but I don't recall for sure. 

Here we go again...
Message 5 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Does amex and remove the CLI button like citi? it's just not on my online account unless I'm just completely missing it. Where does it appear when there?
Message 6 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

FretlessMayhem wrote:

Hiya Hauling, I hope all is well! Things couldn't be better!

I rarely use the Clear. I used it to book a flight today though since they raised my CL. I'm at 1400 or so points, and I'd like to at least get to 2500 once to get the gift card. It's a straight 1 point per dollar card, nothing too exciting, so I don't think they have much reason to slash the rewards. At least I hope not. I was thinking about switching it to Blue Cash, but never made a decision. I normally use my Gold card, and as dumb as it sounds, the Clear card is just plain cool looking. 

Didn't they slash the rewards on Blue Cash? My brain is telling me that I saw the 1.5% turn to 1.0% a little while back, but I don't recall for sure. 

I never did want the Blue Cash. I did the math, and it never made sense for me. Even though I put everything on plastic, I would never be able to hit the level of spending to where things get good.

I just have the plain Jane Blue, 1%. Pretty much all rewards cards have taken a nose-dive now, and I'm irritated at Chase for not giving me the 3% categories on my Freedom, so I just carry the two USAA cards, the PenFed, and the Blue. Other than the gas-and-grocs bit with PenFed, the heyday of rewards seems pretty well over for me. (I don't want to invest with Schwab, so I don't want their card, etc etc.)

It's fun watching new cashiers try to figure how to swipe the Clear and Blue, isn't it? Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Creditaddict wrote:
Does amex and remove the CLI button like citi? it's just not on my online account unless I'm just completely missing it. Where does it appear when there?

OK, I think this is where I found it, but I could well be wrong. I always just blunder across these things, but I think I was following advice from another member:

Click Manage Your Account
Click See All Account Management Options
Click Manage Cards and Limits, I think --might have been Credit and Balance Transfers

I don't see the option now, which would make sense as I just got a CLI. Either that, or as usual, I'm lost on their website.
Message 8 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

either these accounts are not eligible or I'm in the wrong spot, because CLI is not an option
Message 9 of 12
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

I got a CLI in November on my Amex TE by calling the automated system. The "request a line increase" was still showing on several pages on the website until about a week ago.

It's missing everywhere now. Maybe Amex decided too many people were hopping on the button too often. Maybe their system just figured out I got the CLI. It still has not reported by any CRA's. Amex should report it at the end of this month, and it would appear starting next month. Love those Amex reporting delays!

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.