Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Conversions and Product Changes

tag
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

Amex Conversions and Product Changes

What are the general rules/limitations for doing a PC with Amex? I currently have the Amex Clear but wanted to do a PC to the Blue Cash Everyday card.

I searched other threads (like this one) and it sounds like the general consensus is that the Clear is not eligible to PC to anything. However, I really don't want to submit a new app for the BCE.

If I get the BCE I won't be using the Clear, so I just don't want to have another card sockdrawered.

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Conversions and Product Changes

@andyaycw wrote:

What are the general rules/limitations for doing a PC with Amex? I currently have the Amex Clear but wanted to do a PC to the Blue Cash Everyday card.

I searched other threads (like this one) and it sounds like the general consensus is that the Clear is not eligible to PC to anything. However, I really don't want to submit a new app for the BCE.

If I get the BCE I won't be using the Clear, so I just don't want to have another card sockdrawered.

The rule is you have to have the card for 13 months to do a PC. I too have read that ppl say you can't PC the Clear card. I would log into Amex and send them a secure message asking them what PC options do you have with the Clear card. Only way to know for sure imo. GL.

Message 2 of 22
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

From my experience there should be no problem moving from Clear to Blue Cash Everyday. Blue Cash Preferred carries an annual fee and there are plenty of posts here indicating AMEX will not move you from a non-AF to an AF card within the first year. I had my Clear for less than 6 months and inquired about a move to BCE and was told by customer service that it would be no problem to do the conversion. I didn't do it, but it was nice to know it was an option.

Message 3 of 22
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@tntexans72 wrote:

@andyaycw wrote:

The rule is you have to have the card for 13 months to do a PC. I too have read that ppl say you can't PC the Clear card. I would log into Amex and send them a secure message asking them what PC options do you have with the Clear card. Only way to know for sure imo. GL.

Is it always 13 months, or only if an increase in fees is involved?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 4 of 22
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@tntexans72 wrote:

@andyaycw wrote:

Is it always 13 months, or only if an increase in fees is involved?

The Card Act prevents a bank from increasing your fees during the first year, so PCs from no annual fee cards to annual fee cards, or higher annual fee cards are not allowed. This would prevent anyone from PCing from a no annual fee card to Blue Cash Preferred in the first year.

Message 5 of 22
dalebb
Valued Contributor

true,, i tried going from amex blue to the amex bcp,,, they said apply in 6 months and then if i wanted close the blue card

Message 6 of 22
TM82
Regular Contributor

I've inquired many times over the years about PCing my Clear and each time I get an answer that it cannot be product changed.  So I just shifted the credit line from it to my Amex Blue Cash. 

My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 7 of 22
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

@TM82 wrote:

I've inquired many times over the years about PCing my Clear and each time I get an answer that it cannot be product changed.  So I just shifted the credit line from it to my Amex Blue Cash. 

I've had my Amex since 2007. It was originally a Blue Sky and then eventually I decided to PC to a Clear. I guess somewhere along the way they changed their internal policies not allowing a Clear to PC back to anything Blue?

I'm still waiting for a response from the Amex secure email, but if I can't PC, then it would seem my only option would be to do a new app for the BCE, shift the credit line, and then close the Clear?

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Message 8 of 22
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@andyaycw wrote:

@TM82 wrote:

I've had my Amex since 2007. It was originally a Blue Sky and then eventually I decided to PC to a Clear. I guess somewhere along the way they changed their internal policies not allowing a Clear to PC back to anything Blue?

I'm still waiting for a response from the Amex secure email, but if I can't PC, then it would seem my only option would be to do a new app for the BCE, shift the credit line, and then close the Clear?

Why would you close the Clear card? From my observations, Amex won't close credit accounts that inactive when you have another card that is active.

There seems to be no benefit to closing the account, but you would see some very minor harm -- potentially reduced AAoA when it stops reporting in 10 years, and a slight reduction in total available revolving credit (since I don't think you can transfer 100% of your credit limi to the new card).

Message 9 of 22
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@stan_the_man wrote:

Why would you close the Clear card? From my observations, Amex won't close credit accounts that inactive when you have another card that is active.

There seems to be no benefit to closing the account, but you would see some very minor harm -- potentially reduced AAoA when it stops reporting in 10 years, and a slight reduction in total available revolving credit (since I don't think you can transfer 100% of your credit limi to the new card).

I agree. I see little sense in getting rid of the Clear. Since there is no AF, seems a decent card to keep around.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.