Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Valued Member

Amex / Costco Card Letter

Hello, thanks in advance for the help.

I received an Amex / Costco letter in the mail.  It is not listed as a preapproval but an invitation to apply.  Is there any way to know if the letter is because they are interested vs. pulling my name from a Costco list?

The only relationship I have with Amex is via a corporate card. 

My scores are between 660 and 680.  The main reason for my poor scores is average length of account life (~1.3 years).  Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

wim

Transunion 658 | CreditKarma 657 | CreditSesame 673
Super Contributor

Re: Amex / Costco Card Letter

I would consider it to be the same as a pre~approval, which is just a targeted offering based on specific demographics. Are you interested in this card specifically or just looking to get your foot in the door with AMEX ?
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex / Costco Card Letter

wim wrote:

Hello, thanks in advance for the help.

I received an Amex / Costco letter in the mail.  It is not listed as a preapproval but an invitation to apply.  Is there any way to know if the letter is because they are interested vs. pulling my name from a Costco list?

The only relationship I have with Amex is via a corporate card. 

My scores are between 660 and 680.  The main reason for my poor scores is average length of account life (~1.3 years).  Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

wim

It could be marketing Costco members, since they would be the only ones qualified for the card. If you're free of baddies and have at least a year of positive history reporting, you could be approved. It's iffy. I had about 2 yrs pos TLs reporting and no baddies, and got $2k w/Costco Amex. I don't know what my EX FICO was, but my estimate based on my EQ and TU at the time is high 600s.

I apped in the store while they were having an Amex promotion going on because I thought it might increase my odds. Don't know if it was a factor or not. However, if you do app, it's better to app in the store because otherwise your approval will be held up by your m'ship verification that they do w/Costco. If you have an invite w/a code, that might bypass that step, though.

Is your corp card your own biz or as an employee? If you're the principal, then it would likely help. If not, it wouldn't likely be a factor since you're ultimately not responsible for paying the card.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.