Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Costco TE Recon ? Sorry if repeat

tag
agforfree5
Contributor

Amex Costco TE Recon ? Sorry if repeat

Hello all,

So I was denied a Costco Amex when applied @ the store. Then, I right away cancelled my costco membership because I only want to be a member if I could get the Costco Amex.

Now, I am thinking about having Amex recon my application. So here are my 2 question for anybody who has been in this situation --

-Do I need to activate my Costco membership again, prior to attempting the Recon?

-Do you believe calling the Amex Exec Office backdoor # would be my best option for initiating the Recon ?

I just want to be an Amex member!! Also, the Costco gas station is very near my house.

I am pretty new to this form but have had CCs for sometime now.

Currently own:

Cap 1 Venture - 10K Limit

Chase Freedom - 6K Limit

Express Store card - $1750 Limit

Nordstrom Store Card - $1,500 Limit

Best Buy Store - $400 Limit

Cap 1 Secured - $500 Limit

FICO score:

Roughly Mid 600s.

Most of these cards were acquired within the past year or 2... besides the Cap1 10K Card (Opened since 2005).

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
agforfree5
Contributor

Re: Amex Costco TE Recon ? Sorry if repeat

Also,

If the Recon does not work out for the Amex Costco......Does anyone know how long do I have (from my initial application) to submit a new application for the Amex Zinc ?

Message 2 of 7
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

30 days. You can app on 31st day

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
agforfree5
Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

Ok, thanks.

Does anyone have the answer to the other 2 ?s --

-Do I need to activate my Costco membership again, prior to attempting the Recon?

-Do you believe calling the Amex Exec Office backdoor # would be my best option for initiating the Recon ?

Message 4 of 7
djrez4
Established Contributor

Amex doesn't really do phone recons.  They'll ask you to send a fax to their "Media Department," whatever that means.  State your case.  Use hard facts.  They may grant it.

You also have to be a current Costco member to get the card.  They check the Costco membership database before approving.

Message 5 of 7
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@agforfree5 wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

Ok, thanks.

Does anyone have the answer to the other 2 ?s --

1. Since the first step in the application process is verifying costco membership and you are not a costco member, I don't even know if they will process your recon request.

2. Amex doesn't really do "recon" in the chase/barklays sense. They will re-evaluate your application if you can identify a factual error. So if the credit report they pulled had inaccurate information, such as a collection that has been deleted, and that error was the reason for decline, then you have a shot. What were the reasons stated for declining you and are they incorrect?

3. I think the Amex TE is probably the amex card with the highest underwriting criteria. I know multiple people that have amex revolvers (delta, bce, spg) that have been rejected for the TE. I think expecting this card with a score <700 isn't realistic. That being said, have at it. As several on this board have pointed out recently, issuers seem to be granting more "back door" approvals than at any time in the past.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 6 of 7
djrez4
Established Contributor

If it makes you feel better, I received mine without recon (although I simultaneously reconned a Gold card, which may have trickled over) with an EX score of 644 as reported to me when Amex sent the paperwork.  It was only a $1200 limit, but it was an approval, nonetheless.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.