Established Contributor
hot4u

Re: Amex Costco TrueEarning

titanofold wrote:

Wait until you pay off your cards. Let 1 card report a balance of 1% - 9% of it's CL. Once you've reached that, apply and you'll be looking just about as good as you can look.

+1 Agree

Then in future if denied by Amex since you are a member it should only be a Soft Pull. Hp if Approved.

I would wait as long as possible your next card will be backdated to your first card date.. Win Win AAOA will love it...

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton and SPG®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
(Citi)- Dividends Platinum Select, Executive/Platinum® Advantage,Hawaiian Airlines World Elite

Established Member
AC0308

Pat94108 wrote:

titanofold wrote:

Wait until you pay off your cards. Let 1 card report a balance of 1% - 9% of it's CL. Once you've reached that, apply and you'll be looking just about as good as you can look.

+1. If you apply now with all the balances and the near maxed out credit card, Amex will think you're desperate for credit and that's not a good thing. 

Good point. I'm not desperate, just very impatient.

Amex Blue Sky - $8,700
Discover IT - $4,500
Amex TrueEarnings - 3,500
Elan Financial - $2,000
CapitalOne - $1,250
Chase Slate - $1,200
Established Member
AC0308

hot4u wrote:

titanofold wrote:

+1 Agree

Then in future if denied by Amex since you are a member it should only be a Soft Pull. Hp if Approved.

I would wait as long as possible your next card will be backdated to your first card date.. Win Win AAOA will love it...

That's great! I didn't know that.

Amex Blue Sky - $8,700
Discover IT - $4,500
Amex TrueEarnings - 3,500
Elan Financial - $2,000
CapitalOne - $1,250
Chase Slate - $1,200
Valued Contributor
FinStar

AC0308 wrote:

Pat94108 wrote:

titanofold wrote:

+1. If you apply now with all the balances and the near maxed out credit card, Amex will think you're desperate for credit and that's not a good thing. 

Good point. I'm not desperate, just very impatient.

You're just going to have to exercise patience OP.  I agree with everyone's feedback which is pretty good guidance to leverage a better chance for approval.  Otherwise, you'll be back to square one.

Valued Contributor
takeshi74

[ Edited ]

AC0308 wrote:

Anyway, I'm now interested in applying for the Costco card, but I'm guessing I should wait until all my balances are way lower, especially on the amex?

Generally speaking the lower your utilization the better your odds for a higher CL and lower APR.

AC0308 wrote:

Out of curiousity, would it hurt to try now anyway? My understanding is that it would be a soft pull?

It's not just the pull.  As I indicated you could end up stuck with a low CL and a high APR.  Be patient, get your credit optimized and ensure that the changes are reporting before you apply.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+