Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Credit Reallocation

tag
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Amex Credit Reallocation

Hey guys, how exactly does credit reallocation with Amex work ???  Say if I want to close my BCE and try to move the 3k cl to the Everyday Preferred.  I was just on the phone with a rep and he said he could only move 2500 and 500 would have to stay on the BCE.  Is this the case even if an account is being closed ???

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Credit Reallocation

When i combined limits on my chase card is was the same. my account i closed ended up reported closed with a 500 limit and the rest went to my other card.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 2 of 17
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Even if the CSR takes the request the acct has to be open 13 statements. They can only request increments of $500 and must leave the "from" acct with $500 limit. Its not immediate either. I have been trying to get a limit reallocated for a month and am about ready to throw in the towel. Its a whole different ball game than Chase.
Message 3 of 17
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Interesting. I am considering closing the BCE because I am not using it since the Everyday Preferred essentially replaces it for me

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 4 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:
Interesting. I am considering closing the BCE because I am not using it since the Everyday Preferred essentially replaces it for me

Have you had your BCE 13 months?  If so, or nearly, go through the process the rep gave you and at least you get $2500 of the limit.  Closing it will lose it all.  But I agree the card is useless for you now.

Message 5 of 17
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Yes the BCE was opened in March of last year. I suppose it makes sense to take 2500 and move it onto the Everyday Preferred

Message 6 of 17
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Today is the 60th day of the Everyday Preferred being opened

Message 7 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:
Today is the 60th day of the Everyday Preferred being opened

Then that should be fine.  The "To" card requirement seems to be YMMV, I transferred a CL to a brand new card, as did many others, but others have been told "60 days".

You can also close the BCE eventually (a $500 limit isn't much use!) if you want to, or see if you can PC it to something more worthwhile.

Message 8 of 17
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

There doesn't seem to be many options as far as PC. Also, I'd rather nab the sign up bonus when the time comes. I have my eye on the starwood card both personal and business. I am gonna wait until August because the last couple of years the sign up bonus climbs to 30k per card, and that's the only reason I am thinking to get them. So yeah long winded answer but I'm prob closing the BCE lol

Message 9 of 17
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I would just leave it open until you are ready to the change, about a month before.  Or in the application process then close it if denied because of the number of accounts with them.  Remember you can always recon and make a deal.  Be careful about doing too many applications or changes with Amex, they might think you are merely just trying to score signup points.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.