Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Decision

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Decision

Some of you may have already seen my post yesterday asking for the minimum EX score to get the Amex Platinum card.

About 2 weeks ago I applied for the Blue and got denied due to having the recovery Optima card. Yesterday I decided to try for a charge card (platinum) to see if I'd have any luck, but got denied again for the same reason. My EX score is 690 and no hard inquiry was recorded on CR both times. So it looks like they are not even looking at my CR.

I called 1-800-641-2400 (New Accounts) and somebody explained to me that Amex would not be able to approve me for another card at this point, but that I should contact them again in 30 days and see where I stand. She also said that there is no official recovery program that involves a specific time period somebody with a recovery card must go through before being able to apply for other Amex cards. She was also apologetic for not being able to be more specific, but I did get something from her. She acknowledged that my paying my Optima card in full every month shows Amex that I can handle a charge card.

Oh well.....
Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Decision

upmyscore2008 wrote:
Some of you may have already seen my post yesterday asking for the minimum EX score to get the Amex Platinum card.

About 2 weeks ago I applied for the Blue and got denied due to having the recovery Optima card. Yesterday I decided to try for a charge card (platinum) to see if I'd have any luck, but got denied again for the same reason. My EX score is 690 and no hard inquiry was recorded on CR both times. So it looks like they are not even looking at my CR.

I called 1-800-641-2400 (New Accounts) and somebody explained to me that Amex would not be able to approve me for another card at this point, but that I should contact them again in 30 days and see where I stand. She also said that there is no official recovery program that involves a specific time period somebody with a recovery card must go through before being able to apply for other Amex cards. She was also apologetic for not being able to be more specific, but I did get something from her. She acknowledged that my paying my Optima card in full every month shows Amex that I can handle a charge card.

Oh well.....

Hi upmyscore, that really upsets me about the Amex and Oasis program. There is no real policy or guidelines. They never said any thing about not being able to get another card if you take Opitma Card. All it said the card is not eligible for CLI and Rewards. Nothing about not getting another card. Looks to me it is a practise of deceiving. I might just cancel the Opitma card and tell them to take a hike.
Message 2 of 44
orl2185
Established Contributor

concorduser wrote:

upmyscore2008 wrote:

Oh well.....

Hi upmyscore, that really upsets me about the Amex and Oasis program. There is no real policy or guidelines. They never said any thing about not being able to get another card if you take Opitma Card. All it said the card is not eligible for CLI and Rewards. Nothing about not getting another card. Looks to me it is a practise of deceiving. I might just cancel the Opitma card and tell them to take a hike.

It's like I said in prior post about amex deceiving practices. I'm glad you are somewhat seeing the light... All others take notice.
Message 3 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

A'm I rerading this correct you are mad at amex becuase they allowded you to get an Optima card to pay off what you owe them? You're also mand becuse you are not getting reward points for paying off what you owed? People are trying to get a Platinum Card that are on the remedial card? I'm sorry if not comprehending I just want a clarification so I can post a friendly and helpfull post.

Message Edited by ddd on 02-14-2008 12:34 PM

Message Edited by ddd on 02-14-2008 12:35 PM
Message 4 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. I respect Amex for having given me another chance through their Optima card. Not only did I get a new card with them, they deleted my previous derogatory TL. So I'm pretty happy with that. My expectations were low to get a platinum card, but wanted to see what their response would be. I would only be concerned if after 2 years of perfect payment history with the Optima card, they still reject my application for a different card. I'll reach the 2 year mark this Dec, so we'll see.
Message 5 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

upmyscore2008 wrote:
I agree. I respect Amex for having given me another chance through their Optima card. Not only did I get a new card with them, they deleted my previous derogatory TL. So I'm pretty happy with that. My expectations were low to get a platinum card, but wanted to see what their response would be. I would only be concerned if after 2 years of perfect payment history with the Optima card, they still reject my application for a different card. I'll reach the 2 year mark this Dec, so we'll see.

Have you paid off what you owed them? I have 4 Amex Cards and I'll tell you form experience Amex does not like for youi to carry balances. I keep them All at Zero even if I have to transfer, this insured me no FR's and I can get ANY card I want any time. You can product change till you're face turns blue you just haver to get on their good side. Once you're in you're in!!!!
Message 6 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. I pay either make a few payments or 1 lump sum within each billing cycle to never carry a balance over to the next month. The CRAs, though, sometimes show a balance. I think it has to do with the timing when Amex reports to them.

On the call this morning with Amex, and as I mentioned before, they seem to appreciate my paying the balance in full every month on the Optima when it comes to considering me for the Platinum.

They may have an internal time frame that varies for each individual, hence the lack of an uniform policy, depending on each derogatory history with them. They are just not telling me, but they did say to check with them in 30 days.

I think it is just a matter of time and I should be able to get another card.
Message 7 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

upmyscore2008 wrote:
Yes. I pay either make a few payments or 1 lump sum within each billing cycle to never carry a balance over to the next month. The CRAs, though, sometimes show a balance. I think it has to do with the timing when Amex reports to them.

On the call this morning with Amex, and as I mentioned before, they seem to appreciate my paying the balance in full every month on the Optima when it comes to considering me for the Platinum.

They may have an internal time frame that varies for each individual, hence the lack of an uniform policy, depending on each derogatory history with them. They are just not telling me, but they did say to check with them in 30 days.

I think it is just a matter of time and I should be able to get another card.

Another trick is NEVER apply for Plat Amex, ALWAYS apply for green. As soon as they approve you, call them and asked to be upgraded to Plat. Did you ask about Green? Maybe they will give you a Green
Message 8 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

That would make sense. I was definitely aiming high with the Platinum. I will wait 2 months and then try the Green.
Message 9 of 44
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

ddd wrote:

upmyscore2008 wrote:

Have you paid off what you owed them? I have 4 Amex Cards and I'll tell you form experience Amex does not like for youi to carry balances. I keep them All at Zero even if I have to transfer, this insured me no FR's and I can get ANY card I want any time. You can product change till you're face turns blue you just haver to get on their good side. Once you're in you're in!!!!

Hi ddd, looks like you are missing the point. OP already said payed off old balance in full and got the Oasis card and paid on the oasis card ontime for 2 years. Do you think that would not qualify for any thing. If Amex rejects new app stating what ever reason, that would be ok with me, but not the reason you have "Active Recovery Product". I want Amex to tell what is the Policy to exit out of the card. Otherwise, customers would make what ever plans they want to make.

As far as I am concerned this is a deceivng practise from Amex stand point of you. They should clearly state, once you accept this offer you are done with Amex and you'll not get any thing new from Amex other than this card
Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.