cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Decline, but happy with Ex Fico Received!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Decline, but happy with Ex Fico Received!

I decided to join the masses and app for an Amex revolver after the first of the year. I have the NPSL Zync currently and wanted the backdating. Unfortunately, I got an auto decline on the Gold Delta Skymiles card. I'd had my Zync since March of 2012. My utilization was probably around 30% when they sp'd me (according to the letter on 12/15) and I've had a few inquirys since getting the Zync. I figured I'd just wait til march when my utilization is lower and try again.

I got the decline letter today and two of the reasons listed are My FICO score and length of time I have been a customer with Amex is too short (I've not seen that one too often with Amex.) Good news is, they report my Ex Fico as a 700!! That makes me super happy!! Smiley Happy Hopefully it's gone up even more because my utilization is down to about 17% now.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
LesWH
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Decline, but happy with Ex Fico Received!

@Anonymous wrote:

I decided to join the masses and app for an Amex revolver after the first of the year. I have the NPSL Zync currently and wanted the backdating. Unfortunately, I got an auto decline on the Gold Delta Skymiles card. I'd had my Zync since March of 2012. My utilization was probably around 30% when they sp'd me (according to the letter on 12/15) and I've had a few inquirys since getting the Zync. I figured I'd just wait til march when my utilization is lower and try again.

I got the decline letter today and two of the reasons listed are My FICO score and length of time I have been a customer with Amex is too short (I've not seen that one too often with Amex.) Good news is, they report my Ex Fico as a 700!! That makes me super happy!! Smiley Happy Hopefully it's gone up even more because my utilization is down to about 17% now.

You were declined with a 700???? Geez!!

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 2 of 14
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

try again in 6mo, and you'll be good.
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Congrats on hitting the 700 club !   And it was a soft inquiry, so that's good news too Smiley Happy    AMEX approvals can be quirky ~ I have seen many denials from them with FICO scores over 700.

Keep trying with AMEX and I'm sure you'll get that Delta revolver card soon.....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 14
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

good point on the SP
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 14
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

I was declined as well, with 1% util, although my app was only a couple months after my 1st AMEX. My prob. was too many inqs in the past year 3,  2 lates from 5+ years ago, owing too much on loans (a little over 12k at that point but my CR said 20k--this has since been corrected, my loans were showing twice on my CR).

Just give it some time and I'm sure they'll say yes again. I was just approved for the 3x CLI after they denied it 3 or 4 times when I was only asking for 1k more. AMEX is weird but I'm sure I could get another card, just don't want to right now. I'm waiting until either Jan 2014 or July 2014. 

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 6 of 14
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

No harm with a SP and GRATS for hiting the 700 club!! Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone.....that's what I thought too....only a sp and I got the elusive Ex Fico!!Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 14
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

You should've tried to apply yesterday night - it seems that Amex underwriting engine has been tweaked in a way to allow as many new customers as possible :-)

Just kind of j/k :-)

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 9 of 14
iloverewards
Valued Member

I don't know if they were that trigger happy last night. After my instant approval for the BCP, I got denied for the PRG with an over 700 credit score and 8% utilization. I think I've had too many inquiries lately (7 in less than a month).

Chase Sapphire Preferred | Freedom | IHG Rewards Club
Citi Dividend | Simplicity | AAdvantage
Discover It
Capital One Quicksilver
Amex Blue Cash
Barclay Arrival | NFL Extra Points
Bank of America Better Balance Rewards
US Bank Platinum Visa
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.