cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Default now past SOL - Should I reaaply?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Default now past SOL - Should I reaaply?

New here, and tried searching, but couldn't find the answer I'm looking for.

I had an Amex Blue card 9 years ago that defaulted, and was never paid. It is now off my credit report since it's past the SOL, and I have been working to rebuild my credit. I have no revolving credit currently which I am trying to fix (did just get approved for a Macy's card), and only things on my report is a 9yr old car loan PIF no lates, and a current car loan no lates.

Currently at 738 from Experian, 718 Transunion, and 665 at Equifax (erroneous $160 collection I am disputing).

I would like to get an Amex card again, and I saw in other posts they pull Exp which is my best score, but since I have the past bad debt with them I never paid, is it worth applying or will they say no based on the past default?

Appreciate any advice, thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Default now past SOL - Should I reaaply?

@Megan2992 wrote:

New here, and tried searching, but couldn't find the answer I'm looking for.

I had an Amex Blue card 9 years ago that defaulted, and was never paid. It is now off my credit report since it's past the SOL, and I have been working to rebuild my credit. I have no revolving credit currently which I am trying to fix (did just get approved for a Macy's card), and only things on my report is a 9yr old car loan PIF no lates, and a current car loan no lates.

Currently at 738 from Experian, 718 Transunion, and 665 at Equifax (erroneous $160 collection I am disputing).

I would like to get an Amex card again, and I saw in other posts they pull Exp which is my best score, but since I have the past bad debt with them I never paid, is it worth applying or will they say no based on the past default?

Appreciate any advice, thanks!

AmEx blacklists pretty much for life so it unlikely they would approve you.  Still, stranger things have happened.

The good news is that they do not pull your credit reports if you are on their blacklist.  That makes applying pretty much risk-free.

Message 2 of 10
Shane1
New Contributor

If you're willing to pay in full, you should be able to get back in, possibly through their Oasis program. Otherwise, Amex doesn't forget. Personally I'd just move on. Plenty of other banks that will treat you better anyway.

I'm assuming Experian is a FAKO, and hence may not actually be your best score.

Message 3 of 10
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

Amex won't approve you if you defaulted on them.  They have memory like an elephant.  You can't be an auth user on anyones' account either.  Anyone needing to provide clarification on this, please do so.  I would  wait and try to get the collection item deleted, and if you really want an Amex product, try a bank who offers a co-branded one, like Citi or BOA.

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KIPPIE12 wrote:

Amex won't approve you if you defaulted on them.  They have memory like an elephant.  You can't be an auth user on anyones' account either.  Anyone needing to provide clarification on this, please do so.  I would  wait and try to get the collection item deleted, and if you really want an Amex product, try a bank who offers a co-branded one, like Citi or BOA.

There are one or two people on this forum who have slipped through the cracks so you never know, but the chances are slim.

Still, it will not cost you an inquiry to try.  If you are on the blacklist, AmEx will decline you before they pull your credit reports.

Message 5 of 10
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are one or two people on this forum who have slipped through the cracks so you never know, but the chances are slim.

Still, it will not cost you an inquiry to try.  If you are on the blacklist, AmEx will decline you before they pull your credit reports.

Yep, there are some out there Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 10
davidsawsparks
Contributor

You could always try the their pre approval form on their site and see if there are anything available for you. That's usually a good indication if you will be approved or not.

Message 7 of 10
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

I paid off a charged off balance in full back in February and applied for an AMEX Blue card and it was approved.  The AMEX Blue card has the original member since date of 1989.

TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for all the responses!

I think I'll stay away from Amex then. I liked the card when I had it, but don't see to many positive comments about them on the boards here.

I am also hopeful now about the Discover More card I applied for a few days ago. I thought it was a no since I got the need more time to process message when I applied online, but got a call today from them wanting to verify identity and address, and they asked me to fax them a copy of a current util bill to confirm my address.

I would hope they wouldn't make me go through this just to say no, but I have never applied for a Discover before, so I have no clue what it all means..crossing my fingers!

Message 9 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@KIPPIE12 wrote:

Amex recently changed Auth users and anyone can be added now and SS# is not asked anymore so even if past amex bad history you can be added to someone else account.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.