Reply
Regular Contributor
Posts: 111
Registered: ‎08-17-2010
0

Amex Default now past SOL - Should I reaaply?

New here, and tried searching, but couldn't find the answer I'm looking for.

I had an Amex Blue card 9 years ago that defaulted, and was never paid. It is now off my credit report since it's past the SOL, and I have been working to rebuild my credit. I have no revolving credit currently which I am trying to fix (did just get approved for a Macy's card), and only things on my report is a 9yr old car loan PIF no lates, and a current car loan no lates.

Currently at 738 from Experian, 718 Transunion, and 665 at Equifax (erroneous $160 collection I am disputing).

I would like to get an Amex card again, and I saw in other posts they pull Exp which is my best score, but since I have the past bad debt with them I never paid, is it worth applying or will they say no based on the past default?

 

Appreciate any advice, thanks!


Starting Score: TU 718 - EQ 665 2010
Current Score: TU 765 (3/2013) - EQ 748 (3/2013)- EX 781 (Mortgage Pull 12/14/11)
Goal Score: TU 750 - EQ 750 I MADE IT!


Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,626
Registered: ‎10-13-2009
0

Re: Amex Default now past SOL - Should I reaaply?


Megan2992 wrote:

New here, and tried searching, but couldn't find the answer I'm looking for.

I had an Amex Blue card 9 years ago that defaulted, and was never paid. It is now off my credit report since it's past the SOL, and I have been working to rebuild my credit. I have no revolving credit currently which I am trying to fix (did just get approved for a Macy's card), and only things on my report is a 9yr old car loan PIF no lates, and a current car loan no lates.

Currently at 738 from Experian, 718 Transunion, and 665 at Equifax (erroneous $160 collection I am disputing).

I would like to get an Amex card again, and I saw in other posts they pull Exp which is my best score, but since I have the past bad debt with them I never paid, is it worth applying or will they say no based on the past default?

 

Appreciate any advice, thanks!


AmEx blacklists pretty much for life so it unlikely they would approve you.  Still, stranger things have happened.

 

The good news is that they do not pull your credit reports if you are on their blacklist.  That makes applying pretty much risk-free.

IAALBNYL
New Contributor
Posts: 59
Registered: ‎08-29-2009
0

Re: Amex Default now past SOL - Should I reaaply?

If you're willing to pay in full, you should be able to get back in, possibly through their Oasis program. Otherwise, Amex doesn't forget. Personally I'd just move on. Plenty of other banks that will treat you better anyway.

 

I'm assuming Experian is a FAKO, and hence may not actually be your best score.

Established Contributor
Posts: 620
Registered: ‎05-09-2009
0

Re: Amex Default now past SOL - Should I reaaply?

Amex won't approve you if you defaulted on them.  They have memory like an elephant.  You can't be an auth user on anyones' account either.  Anyone needing to provide clarification on this, please do so.  I would  wait and try to get the collection item deleted, and if you really want an Amex product, try a bank who offers a co-branded one, like Citi or BOA.

Current Score: EQ: 807 TU: 811 EX: 813 (Fico) 8/14
Goal Scores: 760 Across all 3-Finally


Citi TY Premier 46.5k| Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| CapOne 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2k
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,626
Registered: ‎10-13-2009
0

Re: Amex Default now past SOL - Should I reaaply?


KIPPIE12 wrote:

Amex won't approve you if you defaulted on them.  They have memory like an elephant.  You can't be an auth user on anyones' account either.  Anyone needing to provide clarification on this, please do so.  I would  wait and try to get the collection item deleted, and if you really want an Amex product, try a bank who offers a co-branded one, like Citi or BOA.


There are one or two people on this forum who have slipped through the cracks so you never know, but the chances are slim.

 

Still, it will not cost you an inquiry to try.  If you are on the blacklist, AmEx will decline you before they pull your credit reports.

IAALBNYL
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,413
Registered: ‎04-18-2008
0

Re: Amex Default now past SOL - Should I reaaply?

 


O6 wrote:

There are one or two people on this forum who have slipped through the cracks so you never know, but the chances are slim.

 

Still, it will not cost you an inquiry to try.  If you are on the blacklist, AmEx will decline you before they pull your credit reports.


Yep, there are some out there :smileywink:

 

Contributor
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎07-16-2010
0

Re: Amex Default now past SOL - Should I reaaply?

You could always try the their pre approval form on their site and see if there are anything available for you. That's usually a good indication if you will be approved or not.

     
    
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 449
Registered: ‎02-21-2009
0

Re: Amex Default now past SOL - Should I reaaply?

I paid off a charged off balance in full back in February and applied for an AMEX Blue card and it was approved.  The AMEX Blue card has the original member since date of 1989.

TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Regular Contributor
Posts: 111
Registered: ‎08-17-2010
0

Re: Amex Default now past SOL - Should I reaaply?

Thank you for all the responses!

I think I'll stay away from Amex then. I liked the card when I had it, but don't see to many positive comments about them on the boards here.

 

I am also hopeful now about the Discover More card I applied for a few days ago. I thought it was a no since I got the need more time to process message when I applied online, but got a call today from them wanting to verify identity and address, and they asked me to fax them a copy of a current util bill to confirm my address.

I would hope they wouldn't make me go through this just to say no, but I have never applied for a Discover before, so I have no clue what it all means..crossing my fingers!


Starting Score: TU 718 - EQ 665 2010
Current Score: TU 765 (3/2013) - EQ 748 (3/2013)- EX 781 (Mortgage Pull 12/14/11)
Goal Score: TU 750 - EQ 750 I MADE IT!


Epic Contributor
Posts: 23,749
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: Amex Default now past SOL - Should I reaaply?

 


KIPPIE12 wrote:

Amex won't approve you if you defaulted on them.  They have memory like an elephant.  You can't be an auth user on anyones' account either.  Anyone needing to provide clarification on this, please do so.  I would  wait and try to get the collection item deleted, and if you really want an Amex product, try a bank who offers a co-branded one, like Citi or BOA.


Amex recently changed Auth users and anyone can be added now and SS# is not asked anymore so even if past amex bad history you can be added to someone else account.

 

Fico Scores: EQ- 662., TU 684 Barclay, EX 700 (3/21/15)

You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
72 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.