Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta Eliminates Foreign Transaction Fees

tag
navyox
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Delta Eliminates Foreign Transaction Fees

@rlx01 wrote:
Great news, especially if this also happens on the SPG and PRG.

I would be shocked if they did this with PRG.   Why look at Platinum if PRG offers no FTF?   It would seem to me their middle option would suddenly be the best for most consumers at a lower price, which makes no sense.    When you go up the ladder in price you shouldn't feel like you are losing things on the way up. 

The game has changed and their charge card lineup needs an overhaul.    They should kill PRG and offer the PRG point structure to Gold and Platinum with neither having a FTF.   I think most people would tolerate a small AF increase with that so long as the customer service is great.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 21 of 28
rlx01
Established Contributor

@navyox wrote:

@rlx01 wrote:

I would be shocked if they did this with PRG.   Why look at Platinum if PRG offers no FTF?   It would seem to me their middle option would suddenly be the best for most consumers at a lower price, which makes no sense.    When you go up the ladder in price you shouldn't feel like you are losing things on the way up. 

The game has changed and their charge card lineup needs an overhaul.    They should kill PRG and offer the PRG point structure to Gold and Platinum with neither having a FTF.   I think most people would tolerate a small AF increase with that so long as the customer service is great.

PRG AF = $175.

Delta Gold AF = $95.

If they can waive the FTF on the Delta Gold, they can do it on the PRG. It's possible Delta is footing the bill, though.

There are huge differences in Plat vs PRG. I have both and use them for different things.

They should *not* kill the PRG. The product that needs killing off is the Gold.

Message 22 of 28
Open123
Super Contributor

@rlx01 wrote:

+1

Like the Venture One, I don't even know why the Gold card still exists.  Maybe it's too troublesome to remove it from the website or update the marketing materials.

Message 23 of 28
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Just for clarity, do you have this card? https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/delta-skymiles/25330?linknav=ProspectHP-Travel-GoldDe...

It still lists the 2.7% in the fees section.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 24 of 28
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Yup, that's our card.

According to the notice we got on our statement, the change doesn't take effect until May 2014, so the website will likely reflect the new terms at that point.
----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 25 of 28
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

That's bad news about the 195 fee. I don't really understand the Delta Platinum card anymore. Amex doesn't advertise the companion pass as a feature (even though it still exists), so what is the lure for this card? The bonus after 50k spend? Just doesn't make sense. I had planned to upgrade for the companion pass as my wife an I travel to see family on the other coast each year but I'm not so sure anymore. It would be nice if they added another bonus category for the platinum.
Message 26 of 28
titanofold
Established Contributor

@cottoncrown wrote:
That's bad news about the 195 fee. I don't really understand the Delta Platinum card anymore. Amex doesn't advertise the companion pass as a feature (even though it still exists), so what is the lure for this card? The bonus after 50k spend? Just doesn't make sense. I had planned to upgrade for the companion pass as my wife an I travel to see family on the other coast each year but I'm not so sure anymore. It would be nice if they added another bonus category for the platinum.

You should try looking again. They certainly do advertise the companion travel/certificate/pass.

And you're getting MQM with the card, not just miles as you do with the Gold.

And you get a bonus at $25,000 and at $50,000 annual spend.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 27 of 28
navyox
Regular Contributor

@rlx01 wrote:

@navyox wrote:

@rlx01 wrote:

PRG AF = $175.

Delta Gold AF = $95.

If they can waive the FTF on the Delta Gold, they can do it on the PRG. It's possible Delta is footing the bill, though.

There are huge differences in Plat vs PRG. I have both and use them for different things.

Why would you care if they killed off PRG if Gold and Platinum had bonus categories?

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.