cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta Gold SM card - product change? Best angle of attack?

tag
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

Amex Delta Gold SM card - product change? Best angle of attack?

Hey all, I recently added a partner to my property investment business and I am looking to change my Gold SM card to a cash back card.  We are running all of the expenses through the card and I'm racking up skymiles opposed to US getting a cash back.  I called Amex and they, so far, are stating that they are unable to do a PC to anything other than upgrade the Gold to a Platinum SM card.  I dont want or need that as my air travel has been greatly reduced in the last couple of years.  So this is a two part question...

1. Anyone know the best method to get Amex to do a PC to a Blue card?

2.  Is there anything I can do with this bank of miles I have now aside from saving them for a future possible flight?  

Thanks in advance!! 

3/2010 - EX 555 (FAKO) EQ 542 TU 548
GOAL: 680+
Goal exceeded! - EQ - 712 TU - 701
2/2015 - 750+ across the board!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Delta Gold SM card - product change? Best angle of attack?

@BrandonSS wrote:

Hey all, I recently added a partner to my property investment business and I am looking to change my Gold SM card to a cash back card.  We are running all of the expenses through the card and I'm racking up skymiles opposed to US getting a cash back.  I called Amex and they, so far, are stating that they are unable to do a PC to anything other than upgrade the Gold to a Platinum SM card.  I dont want or need that as my air travel has been greatly reduced in the last couple of years.  So this is a two part question...

1. Anyone know the best method to get Amex to do a PC to a Blue card?

2.  Is there anything I can do with this bank of miles I have now aside from saving them for a future possible flight?  

Thanks in advance!! 

There seems to be conflicting info about the ability to PC to a non Delta card.  Your best bet is to keep trying via chat.

Other than keeping them until you can use them it's possible that you can transfer the points to me and I'll find a use for them.

Message 2 of 10
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

Still no luck.  2 phone calls and 3 chats all seem to go like this session:

"Maddy: Hello, you're chatting with Maddy. How can I help you today?

you: I am trying to find the right person that will do a product change for me. I would like to change my current SM Gold card to a Blue cash back card
Maddy: I will be glad to check that for you and help you with that.
Maddy: Is this Brandon with me?
you: it is
Maddy: Thank you for confirming.
Maddy: Please allow me a moment to check that for you.
Maddy: Checking
Maddy: It doesn't give the option to do that.
you: thats unfortunate. Is there a reason why?
Maddy: Currently the option is not available however you may get an option very soon...
Maddy: So I would request you to chat with us soon
you: reason i am requesting is my business partner and I are about to run upwards of $20k through the card starting next week
Maddy: I can understand your concern and assure you that I have tried my best to dot his for you.
you: we dont want skymiles and would rather have the cash back at the time. We do have other cards that are cash back, however we were hoping to utilize our Amex
you: thanks for trying
Maddy: I do understand your point and let me assure you that you may get the offer very soon"

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BrandonSS wrote:

Still no luck.  2 phone calls and 3 chats all seem to go like this session:

"Maddy: Hello, you're chatting with Maddy. How can I help you today?

you: I am trying to find the right person that will do a product change for me. I would like to change my current SM Gold card to a Blue cash back card
Maddy: I will be glad to check that for you and help you with that.
Maddy: Is this Brandon with me?
you: it is
Maddy: Thank you for confirming.
Maddy: Please allow me a moment to check that for you.
Maddy: Checking
Maddy: It doesn't give the option to do that.
you: thats unfortunate. Is there a reason why?
Maddy: Currently the option is not available however you may get an option very soon...
Maddy: So I would request you to chat with us soon
you: reason i am requesting is my business partner and I are about to run upwards of $20k through the card starting next week
Maddy: I can understand your concern and assure you that I have tried my best to dot his for you.
you: we dont want skymiles and would rather have the cash back at the time. We do have other cards that are cash back, however we were hoping to utilize our Amex
you: thanks for trying
Maddy: I do understand your point and let me assure you that you may get the offer very soon"

That sucks.  How long gave you had the Delta card?  It seems like you have to have had it for 13 months before you can PC (at least that's what some posts have said)

Message 4 of 10
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

I've had the card since summer of 2013.  

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BrandonSS wrote:

I've had the card since summer of 2013.  

Then I don't know what to suggest.  Maybe just apply for the card that you really want. 😙

Message 6 of 10
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

I would but I cant take an inquiry while closing on another property.... so pc is my only option in the meantime. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BrandonSS wrote:

I would but I cant take an inquiry while closing on another property.... so pc is my only option in the meantime. 

Understandable.  Maybe one more attempt with a rep?  I tend though to think they are limited by what their computer tells them and don't have the ability to override.

Message 8 of 10
onstar
Established Contributor

I've had the Delta Gold for 12 months. The AF will hit the next statement. I chatted with Amex today to see what my PC options were. I was told two things:

(1) Since I have a co-branded card, I can only PC to another co-branded card.

(2) Right now, the only cards they could give me were the Hilton HHonors card (no AF) and the SPG ($65 AF). No option to the Everyday or Blue Cash cards. I told them I already had a SPG card, and he said that I could still PC to it and I'll end up with 2 different SPG cards.

I'm gonna try again tomorrow.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 9 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

the second spg card will give you the stays/nights towards status if that matters to you (and is worth $65) lol
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.