Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta Gold card arrived today

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Delta Gold card arrived today

@Repo-ed wrote:

I've been with them since they were Barnett Bank, then Nations Bank, then BOA.  They've declined me twice for CC.  They were actually my first CC w/ 5k limit at 18, but that was because my dad co-signed for me as  I was enlisting into the Army.  I maxed the card out in under 6 months, then spent 7 years trying to pay it down to no avail.  Finally fell behind and a 30-day showed up on my dads CR JUST as he was looking to by a new house w/ his 2nd wife.  S hit the fan!  I had to turn to the grandmother to bail me out, but the damage was done to his CR for 7 years as was mine, but my reports were the lease of my concern.

That was 2002 and the last time I used credit until 2006.

OUCH -_-; this is why NO ONE SHOULD EVER BE A CO-SIGNER EVER!!!! And this is why people need to get a AUTHORIZED USER instead. If he added you as an authorized user that gives you good enough credit to get your own card, and they're not responsible for your debt. Oh what a little credit education can do =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 11 of 19
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

I've been with them since they were Barnett Bank, then Nations Bank, then BOA.  They've declined me twice for CC.  They were actually my first CC w/ 5k limit at 18, but that was because my dad co-signed for me as  I was enlisting into the Army.  I maxed the card out in under 6 months, then spent 7 years trying to pay it down to no avail.  Finally fell behind and a 30-day showed up on my dads CR JUST as he was looking to by a new house w/ his 2nd wife.  S hit the fan!  I had to turn to the grandmother to bail me out, but the damage was done to his CR for 7 years as was mine, but my reports were the lease of my concern.

That was 2002 and the last time I used credit until 2006.

OUCH -_-; this is why NO ONE SHOULD EVER BE A CO-SIGNER EVER!!!! And this is why people need to get a AUTHORIZED USER instead. If he added you as an authorized user that gives you good enough credit to get your own card, and they're not responsible for your debt. Oh what a little credit education can do =)

I agree and he's offered to co-sign a couple years after that, but I declined his offer. Never want to have that stressor in my life ,and I don't wish it on his or anyone else for that matter.

Just say no to co-signing - ANYTHING!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 12 of 19
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

I agree and he's offered to co-sign a couple years after that, but I declined his offer. Never want to have that stressor in my life ,and I don't wish it on his or anyone else for that matter.

Just say no to co-signing - ANYTHING!

Even though it was his fault for co-signing you, I have to admit it was mainly your fault cause if he was shopping for a house he was doing good financially, if you were getting behind you should've let  him understand your situation so he could help with your minimum payments which would be 100% in his best interest no matter how you look at it. O wells nothing's really a mistake if you learn from it. Now it sucks cause he'll probably never co-sign anything ever again or even add an authorized user.

Message 13 of 19
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

no, he offered to co-sign again for me on a car, when I started to rebuild the first time.  I declined.

Thankfully that derog fell off his reports a few years back.  He was able to get a great rate/deal on a waterfront short-sale last year w/ his FICO middle-score at 805.

Message 14 of 19
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

no, he offered to co-sign again for me on a car, when I started to rebuild the first time.  I declined.

Thankfully that derog fell off his reports a few years back.  He was able to get a great rate/deal on a waterfront short-sale last year w/ his FICO middle-score at 805.

lol damn he must really love you, it's well past what most parents would do the first time, but second time? damn..... but if he's willing to ask him to add you to his cards as an authorized user it'll help you a lot with no bad potential side effects Smiley Wink     unless he gives you the cards lol

Message 15 of 19
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

lol damn he must really love you, it's well past what most parents would do the first time, but second time? damn..... but if he's willing to ask him to add you to his cards as an authorized user it'll help you a lot with no bad potential side effects Smiley Wink     unless he gives you the cards lol

I am an only child Smiley Happy

But as a grown-up adult now, I have to rely on myself. 

Message 16 of 19
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 17 of 19
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

I am an only child Smiley Happy

But as a grown-up adult now, I have to rely on myself. 

Pride is good, but personally I rather get credit help which costs the family nothing, and spend the money I save on my family, instead of lining credit card companies pockets =)

Get added as an authorized user, reap better scores, get better rates, save more money and spend it on family = win for me. 

Message 18 of 19
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

i pif every month and have 0 debt. nothing to be gained at this point. but for others, yes, it would be a great route to take.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.