Frequent Contributor
Sparkz1920

Re: Amex Delta Gold points hard to redeem?

Got my miles about 6 days after I charged 500.00

Got my ticket on Oct 4th free and have only had the card a little over a month

Also, free checked bags make it worth it. Plus it looks cool

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy

Wow Jazzy! New York is where I typically travel to, so that sounds perfect!!!

I checked the mileage credit reqs for redemptiom list thingy on delta's site... A round trip flight varies in cost from 10k miles to 25k miles.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $5k | Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy

I might call customer service at Amex to inquire about an Amex Delta Gold.. I just don't want any more inqs. Did everyone here get good starting limits?! I got a 3,500$ starting cl with the Amex BCE.... Which is one of my lower lines... I'd not wanna start with <$2,000 prob.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $5k | Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Frequent Contributor
Sparkz1920

I got 5K

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Contributor
cardslayer

Some benefits that make me like the card -

* Free checked bag for up to 9 (I think?) people on the same itinerary (otherwise $35 each bag!)

* Priority Boarding Zone 1

* $99 companion ticket (domestic coach) yearly

And, that's without even having to use the card. Also, if you go to DeltaVacations.com, for example, you can redeem towards your vacation package @ $.01/mile. As many would say, that's not the best redemption value (if you do some legwork as others have mentioned and book through a partner airline, you can do much better). But as a baseline, you're getting minimum $300 for free to use towards delta flights / vacations.

But to more specifically answer your question, redeeming the miles for actual flights can and is a nightmare. Their website sucks, and you will almost never find low fare days to anywhere worth going. They are a little better with international (specifically to Asia) where you can find some decent low-fares. You can try to call in to a reservation person, I've heard they're better.

Some things to consider before app'ing for the Gold DSM -

* This card does not earn you MQM's which count toward medallion status, which is what you need if you want upgrades and stuff

* Due to the CARD act, you cannot upgrade the account until your 13th month. 

* Considering the above, I would consider the Platinum @ $150.yr AF ($55 more per year)

* The platinum version has the same companion ticket benefit, but it's free instead of $99. If this ticket will be useful to you (which it should be), then this alone makes the AF difference worth it.

I was going off memory so please verify my numbers and sorry if I got any info wrong. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+