cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta Gold points hard to redeem?

tag
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Delta Gold points hard to redeem?

Got my miles about 6 days after I charged 500.00

Got my ticket on Oct 4th free and have only had the card a little over a month

Also, free checked bags make it worth it. Plus it looks cool

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 11 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Wow Jazzy! New York is where I typically travel to, so that sounds perfect!!!

I checked the mileage credit reqs for redemptiom list thingy on delta's site... A round trip flight varies in cost from 10k miles to 25k miles.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 12 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I might call customer service at Amex to inquire about an Amex Delta Gold.. I just don't want any more inqs. Did everyone here get good starting limits?! I got a 3,500$ starting cl with the Amex BCE.... Which is one of my lower lines... I'd not wanna start with <$2,000 prob.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 13 of 15
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

I got 5K

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 14 of 15
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

Some benefits that make me like the card -

* Free checked bag for up to 9 (I think?) people on the same itinerary (otherwise $35 each bag!)

* Priority Boarding Zone 1

* $99 companion ticket (domestic coach) yearly

And, that's without even having to use the card. Also, if you go to DeltaVacations.com, for example, you can redeem towards your vacation package @ $.01/mile. As many would say, that's not the best redemption value (if you do some legwork as others have mentioned and book through a partner airline, you can do much better). But as a baseline, you're getting minimum $300 for free to use towards delta flights / vacations.

But to more specifically answer your question, redeeming the miles for actual flights can and is a nightmare. Their website sucks, and you will almost never find low fare days to anywhere worth going. They are a little better with international (specifically to Asia) where you can find some decent low-fares. You can try to call in to a reservation person, I've heard they're better.

Some things to consider before app'ing for the Gold DSM -

* This card does not earn you MQM's which count toward medallion status, which is what you need if you want upgrades and stuff

* Due to the CARD act, you cannot upgrade the account until your 13th month. 

* Considering the above, I would consider the Platinum @ $150.yr AF ($55 more per year)

* The platinum version has the same companion ticket benefit, but it's free instead of $99. If this ticket will be useful to you (which it should be), then this alone makes the AF difference worth it.

I was going off memory so please verify my numbers and sorry if I got any info wrong. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.