10-17-2012 05:57 AM
10-17-2012 06:18 AM
10-17-2012 06:20 AM
10-17-2012 07:10 AM
10-17-2012 08:29 PM
Some benefits that make me like the card -
* Free checked bag for up to 9 (I think?) people on the same itinerary (otherwise $35 each bag!)
* Priority Boarding Zone 1
* $99 companion ticket (domestic coach) yearly
And, that's without even having to use the card. Also, if you go to DeltaVacations.com, for example, you can redeem towards your vacation package @ $.01/mile. As many would say, that's not the best redemption value (if you do some legwork as others have mentioned and book through a partner airline, you can do much better). But as a baseline, you're getting minimum $300 for free to use towards delta flights / vacations.
But to more specifically answer your question, redeeming the miles for actual flights can and is a nightmare. Their website sucks, and you will almost never find low fare days to anywhere worth going. They are a little better with international (specifically to Asia) where you can find some decent low-fares. You can try to call in to a reservation person, I've heard they're better.
Some things to consider before app'ing for the Gold DSM -
* This card does not earn you MQM's which count toward medallion status, which is what you need if you want upgrades and stuff
* Due to the CARD act, you cannot upgrade the account until your 13th month.
* Considering the above, I would consider the Platinum @ $150.yr AF ($55 more per year)
* The platinum version has the same companion ticket benefit, but it's free instead of $99. If this ticket will be useful to you (which it should be), then this alone makes the AF difference worth it.
I was going off memory so please verify my numbers and sorry if I got any info wrong.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more
FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.