10-17-2012 05:57 AM
10-17-2012 06:18 AM
10-17-2012 06:20 AM
10-17-2012 07:10 AM
10-17-2012 08:29 PM
Some benefits that make me like the card -
* Free checked bag for up to 9 (I think?) people on the same itinerary (otherwise $35 each bag!)
* Priority Boarding Zone 1
* $99 companion ticket (domestic coach) yearly
And, that's without even having to use the card. Also, if you go to DeltaVacations.com, for example, you can redeem towards your vacation package @ $.01/mile. As many would say, that's not the best redemption value (if you do some legwork as others have mentioned and book through a partner airline, you can do much better). But as a baseline, you're getting minimum $300 for free to use towards delta flights / vacations.
But to more specifically answer your question, redeeming the miles for actual flights can and is a nightmare. Their website sucks, and you will almost never find low fare days to anywhere worth going. They are a little better with international (specifically to Asia) where you can find some decent low-fares. You can try to call in to a reservation person, I've heard they're better.
Some things to consider before app'ing for the Gold DSM -
* This card does not earn you MQM's which count toward medallion status, which is what you need if you want upgrades and stuff
* Due to the CARD act, you cannot upgrade the account until your 13th month.
* Considering the above, I would consider the Platinum @ $150.yr AF ($55 more per year)
* The platinum version has the same companion ticket benefit, but it's free instead of $99. If this ticket will be useful to you (which it should be), then this alone makes the AF difference worth it.
I was going off memory so please verify my numbers and sorry if I got any info wrong.
myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.>> About myFICO