cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta Platinum vs. Amex Delta Reserve.... Thoughts?

tag
Tryon2improve
Regular Contributor

Amex Delta Platinum vs. Amex Delta Reserve.... Thoughts?

I got a 3x CLI from Amex on my Delta Platinum Card yesterday after several years of trying to get anything out of AMEX.  Today I decided to call and thank them for increasing my credit limit.  The CSR was very nice and then said my account indicated I should look into the Reserve card.  The benefits aren't to much more for me since I don't spend $30-$60k a year, I use to travel with Delta all the time until I moved to the Marshall Islands in June.  I am hesitant about making the switch due to the $450 fee.  The Sky lounge access would be nice and so would the concierge service.    Any experience or thoughts?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Delta Platinum vs. Amex Delta Reserve.... Thoughts?

@Tryon2improve wrote:

I got a 3x CLI from Amex on my Delta Platinum Card yesterday after several years of trying to get anything out of AMEX.  Today I decided to call and thank them for increasing my credit limit.  The CSR was very nice and then said my account indicated I should look into the Reserve card.  The benefits aren't to much more for me since I don't spend $30-$60k a year, I use to travel with Delta all the time until I moved to the Marshall Islands in June.  I am hesitant about making the switch due to the $450 fee.  The Sky lounge access would be nice and so would the concierge service.    Any experience or thoughts?

Thanks!

There's only 3 reasons to switch, and therefore you'll need to evaluate whether or not any of these are important to you.

1. SkyClub Access

2. MQMs after 30k & 60k spending

3. First Class companion ticket

You've already said that #2 doesn't apply since your annual spend is lower than 30k. If you value the first class companion ticket and can use it every year, then I'd go for the reserve card.

If all you're looking for is lounge access, the Amex platinum is an alternative that will also give you lounge access plus MR point transferrability. You'll lose Delta-specific benefits like free bags, but the $200 incidentals credit on the platinum can make up for that. If you only fly occasionally, the platinum might be better for you. However if you fly often, the reserve will come out on top as the $200 credit will be rapidly depleted.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.