cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta Skymiles Gold - Apply or hold off?

tag
Psmith
Valued Member

Re: Amex Delta Skymiles Gold - Apply or hold off?

@Anonymous wrote:

... so i can start wracking up the miles with delta ...

Delta SkyMiles are quite worthless. If you plan to fly with Delta, consider accumulating Alaska MileagePlan miles, which can also be accumulated via the Amex SPG card. Alaska's miles can be redeemed at rates far better than SkyMiles on a variety of airlines, including Delta, American, British Airways, Air France/KLM, Emirates, and Qantas.

Message 11 of 14
gblb
New Contributor

There is a 50k skymiles targeted bonus hovering around if you check prequal sites like amex etc. if you are able to lock that in its an exceptional value as that alone is nearly an economy international ticket. Low util and AAOA I would think you should be ok just make sure all is reporting correctly before you apply.

American Express Platinum // Chase Sapphire Preferred // Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard // Chase Freedom // Delta American Express Platinum // Chase Slate

Scores hovering around 712-740 FICO
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gblb wrote:

There is a 50k skymiles targeted bonus hovering around if you check prequal sites like amex etc. if you are able to lock that in its an exceptional value as that alone is nearly an economy international ticket. Low util and AAOA I would think you should be ok just make sure all is reporting correctly before you apply.

Yeah that's why I am holding off until september because i figure a month should give the agencies enough time to report my lower Util (which should be staying below 5% for a while). And I do plan on reconing if worse comes to worse and I am denied.

Although now I have been reading up a bit more on the Delta Gold and am getting mixed feelings about it. I definitely want to obtain an Amex card within the next month or two and start building a relationship with them. Though now I am concerned if i might be better off with say the Amex Everyday card.

Primary purchases with this card are going to be gas and commuting (train tickets/metro). As long as i obtain an Amex before November, I also plan on making a big purchase with it for new ski gear which should total right around $800-1.2k. 

Right now I do have two cash back cards (Discover and Chase Freedom) so I am also looking for a different card that might compliment especially the Chase Freedom well and travel is definitely important for me since I have a few trips planning for the Spring/Summer of 2015.

I also dont think I would have a very good chance of being approved for the CSP

Message 13 of 14
gblb
New Contributor

Yeah' my fiancé has the gold and loves it. Especially with annual fee waived first year'. Personally it's all about how Delta miles might benefit you. We fly business to london once a year virtually for free with our miles so for us it's great. If you use another airline or don't plant to use miles for a high value ticket, maybe a charge or flexible point program card is better. I think your stats are very solid and for whatever reason it seems to be a feeding frenzy of approvals right now.

American Express Platinum // Chase Sapphire Preferred // Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard // Chase Freedom // Delta American Express Platinum // Chase Slate

Scores hovering around 712-740 FICO
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.