cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta Skymiles.."preapproval" how hard to get?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Delta Skymiles.."preapproval" how hard to get?

this is my third "preapproval" from these guys in six months...i have been throwing away, but i was wondering how hard is it to get this card?

what are they looking at on the CR? should i bother with my scores? 

this would be my first amex in MANY years..(like 20)..it would be nice.,

TU695 EX655 EQ685

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Delta Skymiles.."preapproval" how hard to get?

It is known as the easiest Amex to obtain. Your TU and EQ scores are definitely pretty good but sadly Amex normally pulls EX.

Still - there have definitely been approvals with scores in your range so its a possibility. Do you have a clean history the last couple of years? If you lower your util next month you might boost your score and give yourself an even better shot.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

mymy wrote:

this would be my first amex in MANY years..(like 20)..it would be nice.,

What happened to your old Amex?  Did you close it, or did they, and why?  If the relationship ended badly, they remember forever.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

ched,

my only amex was just after i graduated high school i thnik somewhere 1985 or 1986..they closed the account...
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

mymy wrote:
ched,

my only amex was just after i graduated high school i thnik somewhere 1985 or 1986..they closed the account...

For what reason?  Did you have a delinquency?

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

i dont remember exactly.....too much fairy dust since now and thenSmiley Sad
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

mymy wrote:
i dont remember exactly.....too much fairy dust since now and thenSmiley Sad

A new app will be a crapshoot then.  As I said before, if you have a negative history with them, they remember forever.

Good luck!  Let us know what you decide.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

mymy, you remember that they closed it but not WHY they closed it? Think hard, it will save you an inquiry. You said you were right out of high school so you were very young and that THEY closed it....do the math. I wouldn't bother applying, try Chase, Citi or BofA. Cheddar is correct...Amex remebers FOREVER!!!!!!!
Message 8 of 16
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

As a possible answer, you might could try calling Amex, providing your name and/or SSN and seeing if they can look up the old account and see why it was closed. It is a long shot, but the effort is pretty minimal to possibly save the inquiry.

But then again, I wonder if Amex is dumb enough to send out preapprovals to people they know they won't approve. Seems like a waste of resources that could be allocated elsewhere.
Here we go again...
Message 9 of 16
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

By the way, assuming no recent baddies, and that your account was closed for inactivity or some other non-negative reason, I'd bet you'd get approved for that card. I did with a 655 also.
Here we go again...
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.