Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta instantly declined with 743 TU

tag
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Amex Delta instantly declined with 743 TU

Just thought I'd share it here - we've just got a nice reconfirmation of the idea that score (even relatively high) is just *one of* many factors considered in the application, so it might be quite difficult to judge someone's chances of approval based *only* on the score...

My DW got declined for Amex Delta recently, and yesterday we got a letter stating reasons. They pulled at least both TU and EX (haven't checked EQ, but might be as well) and specifically listed:

"Too many credit checks recently" (she got 4 new cards over last 6 months, 2 of them - over last 2 months - most of them hit TU; other one declined the same day Amex did (so 5 TU pulls overall + 1 EX))

"Amount of available credit" (she's AU to all my cards, so she has a relatively high overall CL available)

So, Amex is picky, very picky... Smiley Very Happy Will probably need to try again in 6 months...

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Delta instantly declined with 743 TU

Ouch! And that card is supposed to be the easiest revolver to get!
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 2 of 23
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

*Amount of available credit*

.......what does this mean? One has too many CC's open an /or too high overall CL available to them?

Or does it possibly reference high balance on loans? Maybe something else?
Message 3 of 23
maninder89
Established Member

AMEX is quite picky and wierd when it comes to acceptance. I got declined initally for not having enough credit history but they gave me a 2k limit after recon on the same day.

EX FICO - 770 (Lender pull - AMEX) Feb '13
 photo Wells-Fargo-Cash-Back-Credi_zpsb9d8097b.jpg
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont get it with Amex.They are acting like the king of the Empire

Just lend Amex and stop acting like a child!!!!

Sorry about the declined Mikka

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for the amex BCE on Sunday received apr letter last Friday was told the card was mailed on the 25th need help
Message 6 of 23
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I dont get it with Amex.They are acting like the king of the Empire

Just lend Amex and stop acting like a child!!!!

Sorry about the declined Mikka

Amex has the lowest default rate of any card company =P what they're doing is fine for their business model.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 7 of 23
HiLine
Blogger

Given that your wife had been declined for credit once before the application, I wouldn't be that surprised. She does have many new accounts after all.

That said, Amex is really not picky. I got my Amex Delta Gold with 4-5 inquiries and 2 new accounts in the past 2 months.

Message 8 of 23
codesingh
Regular Contributor

mikka1,

Congrats on the NFL card, I read your message on the forum. I applied for the same card with the same deal (spending $2500 in 90 days can get me 40,000 points ).

Did you receive your's? Were you able to accumulate points on majority of your purchases or had to purchase only NFL related?

Please let me know, Thanks in advaince

~ 100k in Rev CC. 15k Credit Line. 16.5k Car Loan(@1.7%) Starting scores: 690 EQ (Dec 2012) Mid-year FICO scores April ‘13 Pulled by lenders(Barclays, Amex): TU 747 • EQ 752 • EX 746 • Scores As of Nov 2013: 740 and above across the board.
Message 9 of 23
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

HiLine, indeed :-)
Actually, I am *not* that much surprised by the decline - I would have been much more surprised if she had been approved :-) And I don't blame Amex - I clearly understand all the reasons.

It was more like a test if we should go ahead with more applications or take a break for at least 3-6 months - now the answer is clear. It is also a good lesson for me that score alone is not a reliable metric showing chances of approval. Her peak was at 767 TU in January before all the applications, so we should aim to first get it back to that or similar level now.

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.