Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Denial Question

tag
joe867
Valued Member

Amex Denial Question

I recently learned about the old Blue Cash and decided to apply for it this weekend. A bit impulsive, but I thought my chances were good and I don't want to miss my opportunity if this offer disappears. My application went to in progress and the next day I called in a got the bad news, denied...

Now even though I thought I had a good chance for approval I was still half worried that I would be denied because I just applied for and was approved for 4 cards about 3 1/2 weeks ago. So as you can guess one of my denial reasons was too many recent inquiries. I was also told that my loan to value was high - my va mortgage is only 2 years old so I might have ~6% equity. I also have one 60 day late payment from 6 1/2 years ago. And last but not least one of my payments to Amex about 9 months ago was returned because I forgot to transfer funds to my checking account. I called up as soon as a noticed my mistake and at the time I was told this was no problem and that they would try to withdraw the funds again in 3 days. I didn't think that would be a problem since it was a mid statement payment. Obviously at least someone cared.

So my current scores are in my signature and my inquiries are as follows: EX 5, EQ 2, TU 4. They pulled EX. My util is about 2%. Based on all of this I am unsure if I should send a recon letter and risk a HP and denial or should I wait 31 days and try applying again or should I wait even longer and then apply keeping in mind my fear that this offer may disappear. Any thoughts?

EX 761 (5/14); EQ 784 (4/14); TU 778 (5/14)

NFCU cashRewards 23k | Marriott Premier MC 18k | US Bank Club Carlson 15k | Amex BCP 14.3k | Citi AA Exec 13k | Barclays US Airways 10k | PSECU 7.5k | Amex SPG 7k | Amex Old Blue Cash 5k | Chase Sapphire 5k | Ink Plus 5k | PenFed Platinum Rewards 5k | PenFed Defender 5k | PenFed LOC 5k | Gap 4300 | Amex SPG Biz | Amazon Chase 500 |
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Denial Question

IMHO since you're a customer wait and try again since the SP if denied HP if approved applies to you 

Why risk a HP with recon which could be a denial again 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 8
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

IMHO since you're a customer wait and try again since the SP if denied HP if approved applies to you 

Why risk a HP with recon which could be a denial again 

+1...great advice. You're only out a SP, so why chance it? Wait the 90 days and try again. The best of luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 3 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Reconning will only help if any of the reasons listed were an error.  With a recent returned payment and high number of inq's it's probably best to let your internal score rise. 

Message 4 of 8
joe867
Valued Member

Why wait 90 days? If a denial is a sp can't I just try again in 30?
EX 761 (5/14); EQ 784 (4/14); TU 778 (5/14)

NFCU cashRewards 23k | Marriott Premier MC 18k | US Bank Club Carlson 15k | Amex BCP 14.3k | Citi AA Exec 13k | Barclays US Airways 10k | PSECU 7.5k | Amex SPG 7k | Amex Old Blue Cash 5k | Chase Sapphire 5k | Ink Plus 5k | PenFed Platinum Rewards 5k | PenFed Defender 5k | PenFed LOC 5k | Gap 4300 | Amex SPG Biz | Amazon Chase 500 |
Message 5 of 8
newUser0
Established Contributor

You could try. They might think, of too many new accounts again. It's a good idea to wait atleast 2-3 months then, try.

Message 6 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

Like others said, its best you give it more time before you reapply. You just went on a spree, and got denied as a result. If you keep prodding, it may just seem like you are desperate for credit, even though that may not be the case.

Best to lay low and let those accounts age than to invite a FR.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 8
junior88
Frequent Contributor

Just wanted to share my recent experience. I was approved for the Delta Gold earlier this month. This past weekend I applied for the BCE since it appeared that it would be a SP if denied. Well, I was denied and it was a HP. Denied due to Inq's which I do not dispute at all. Just wanted to throw this out to you guys.

11/13/23 TU 808 EX 800 EQ 806 ---- Discover $35,000/AmEx Delta Plat $30,000/Chase United $26,200/BOA $25,000/Macys AmEx $25,000/Sams Club MC $20,000GM Card $18,000/Chase IHG $16,000/Barclay Rewards $12,100/Dicks MasterCard $10,000/Lowes$15,000/BOA Cash Rewards $13,800/Citi Double Cash $9400/Citi Simplicity $8200/Target MC $8000/Wells Fargo Visa $7000/State Farm $4000
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.