chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: Amex/Discover- need some strategy advice

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@gheedorah wrote:

Sadly (in spite of travel being perhaps the greatest single desire in my life), I don't have much use for the Delta miles. Is this a good card generally speaking? Do you guys think that I have any sort of decent chance of getting that, based on what I've been pre-approved for on the site?

You don't have to get that one. Just go with whatever card fits your needs the most. I've used a lot of the miles I got to buy stuff on the Delta Skymiles marketplace anyway and plan to PC to a no annual fee product anyway before the AF kicks in.

Wait wait...so there's a market place you can use if you don't want Delta miles?! This has been said to be the "easiest" amex to get but I've been avoiding applying for it because I don't fly very often and when I do, it's not Delta. But this changes the game....especially if I can PC later on...

Yeah I bought my Bose headphones using half of the 30,000+ Skymiles I was able to get from spending over 1K before the three month period ended. I'm also planning to go on a Delta flight later this year and use the rest of the points to help cover part of those costs possibly.

I just checked and now they have new sign up offer where you can get 50,000 Skymiles as part of a bonus and a 50 dollar statement credit if you spend 1000 dollars within three months.

That's really great to know. Thanks for the info!

No problem. An Amex representative also told me that if I wanted to, I could certainly have the card changed to the no annual fee Hilton HHonors card that they have. I've heard other people say that you don't have to wait 12-13 months to do a PC from an annual fee product to a no annual fee product. I'm gonna also ask them if there are other PC possibilites with the Delta card because I already know that you can't change it to let's say a BCE because it's a cobranded card and everything. Hope this also helps you out. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 11 of 25
gheedorah
Established Member

So much info. Thanks guys!

Message 12 of 25
chalupaman
Super Contributor

You're welcome. There's one last thing I wanted to say. If you're gonna go for one of the charge cards, the underwriting criteria for all of them is pretty much the same whether it be for the Green, Gold, or PRG. It's basically just a difference in the AF you will pay and the benefits that each of them come with and that the AF is waived for the first year.

Someone told me since I was able to get approved for the Green that I would have most likely qualified for the other charge cards as well had I chosen one of those instead, which part of me kinda wanted to (the PRG specifically) but in the long term, I didn't want to have to worry about paying a big fee just to have a charge card and for something I'm probably not going to use as often as the revolvers I have. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 13 of 25
gheedorah
Established Member

What is the "PRG"? I'm not too familiar with Amex products (I just make frequent use of the GF's corporate Amex, which has made me want the accomplishment of aquiring my own).

Message 14 of 25
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@gheedorah wrote:

What is the "PRG"? I'm not too familiar with Amex products (I just make frequent use of the GF's corporate Amex, which has made me want the accomplishment of aquiring my own).

Premier Rewards Gold card. You can read more about it here and see if it's a card that you like.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/premier-rewards-gold/

Message 15 of 25
gheedorah
Established Member

Ah. Thanks for the link!

I spent the first decade of my adult, post-college life being dead broke, and those old habits of frugality die hard. I doubt I'd be able to charge 2k in three months without triggering a panic attack. Ha.

I was wondering though- does having a charge card put me in any better standing with them than going for a revolver first? I feel like I've seen that a couple times but maybe not (or maybe that's just shaky anecdotal thought).

Message 16 of 25
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@gheedorah wrote:

Ah. Thanks for the link!

I spent the first decade of my adult, post-college life being dead broke, and those old habits of frugality die hard. I doubt I'd be able to charge 2k in three months without triggering a panic attack. Ha.

I was wondering though- does having a charge card put me in any better standing with them than going for a revolver first? I feel like I've seen that a couple times but maybe not (or maybe that's just shaky anecdotal thought).

From what I've gathered there's been an on-going debate on whether or not the charge cards are easier to get than the easiest revolver (which is said to be the Delta). As far as whether it puts you in good standing, I think any card you have with them will build the same relationship as long as you pay on time. Maybe someone else has more insight?

Message 17 of 25
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@gheedorah wrote:

Ah. Thanks for the link!

I think as long as you get your foot in the door with Amex by whatever means possible, you can have the ability to earn more of their trust when you use whatever card you get responsibly and pay on time, etc. One of the big reasons I applied for the Delta card was because I noticed that a lot of people here were getting those pretty easily and wanted to take advantage of the offer they had at the time.

They seem to really like me a lot because they gave me my highest credit limit at the time despite not having any prior history with them or any prequalified offers (yet again, I've never gotten any in general) and didn't seem to mind me apping for two more of their cards two months later. I recently went for the Green first and then applied for the EveryDay card in the same day and was able to get both of those with just one hard pull. Of course, I had to wait a few days to get the results of the ED card app and neither of those were instant approval. I also didn't get the full 3x CLI (the counteroffer was still good enough for me) so I really didn't think they would approve me two times but I was pleasantly surprised by the results. My Gold Delta card was an instant approval though.

The backdating priviledges are also really nice and I've commonly heard that even if you get denied for one of their cards and you're already a customer with them, it won't cost you an inquiry though that may be a YMMV kind of thing.

Message 18 of 25
DawgZ
Contributor

Yesterday I applied for the Amex Green card and was approved with 664 EX. I have 3 baddies a few years old. Minutes later I applied for the BCE and was approved. All this with 1 HP. Hope this was helpful.

My Wallet - Cap1 Visa Signature $13k, Chase Saphire Prefered $13.5k, Well's Fargo Rewards $10k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC $6.5k, Cap1 Quicksilver V $4k, Chase Freedom $9k, Discover IT $7.5k, Amex BCE $34k, Amazon/Chase $2.5k,PenFed V $10.5k, Amex Green

EQ 810(Fico), EX 806 (Fico), TU 815 (Fico)

Message 19 of 25
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

I just app'd for the Green and was approved with a 665 EX then few minutes later app'd for the EveryDay and was approved with a 1k CL.

I have a few lates on a student loan from 2010 as my only baddie.

If that gives you some insight...

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.