cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex ED/ EDP. How are you maximizing your 20-30 transactions?

tag
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex ED/ EDP. How are you maximizing your 20-30 transactions?

@longtimelurker wrote:

Some people certainly ran into this with Chase, with the old 10+10 Freedom bonus, some guy had a bill with 300+ pages of microtransactions, each earning 10c.  He got shut down.

Some slight difference though, that was making money whereas this is just trying to meet a threshold, but probably good to avoid if possible.

A common suggestion is self-checkout groceries.  You can buy one thing at a time, making it fairly easy to reach the target.

The only possible negative thing with self checkout and buying one thing at a time is the merchant might still count it as one transaction.

ex. I bought two things on Ebay recently and paid with paypal which is linked to my EDP.  I received a email from Amex saying the same thing and in it it also said that while their system my show it as individual purchases the merchant my count it as one.  They also gave a list of examples of merchants who might do this.

Message 11 of 41
js0319
Established Contributor

Between the DW and I, it only takes about a week to get 30 swipes. We both work in retail, so buying a water or two and snacks/lunch add up pretty quick. 

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 12 of 41
creditFiend
Established Contributor

@ezdoesit➡ Good point. I received the same email when I added my EDP as additional payment option on my eBay account.
Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 13 of 41
creditFiend
Established Contributor

@js0319➡ Wow! That's a lot of swiping! Lol I buy my water in bulks & bring my lunch to work. You have a great strategy!

Are we the only ones on here with ED/EDP? lol
Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 14 of 41
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@js0319 wrote:

Between the DW and I, it only takes about a week to get 30 swipes. We both work in retail, so buying a water or two and snacks/lunch add up pretty quick. 

How much do you run through your card a month.  If your buying a bottle or two of water a day you might be spending more a month spending extra money on water than buying in bulk.  Than you are getting for your 50% bonus. 

Message 15 of 41
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

IF one has Amazon prime. you can buy small priced items that are free shipping. Smiley Wink or subscribe and save orders, too!

Message 16 of 41
js0319
Established Contributor

I run about $3k/month through my PRG, which is my daily usage card. I don't have EDP yet, but hope to apply next month. We spend about $1800/mo. at grocery stores alone - family of 5. 

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 17 of 41
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

Yeahhh, we have a lot of subscriptions/recurring charges in our household, so these all go on the card monthy:

1. Play Music (Google Subscription)

2. Netflix Subscription

3. Daughters Braces pmt

4. Verizon Bill

5. Amazon Kindle Unlimited Subscription

6. USAA Daily Pulls

7. My FIco 3-n1 Credit Monitoring

8. Gym X2 

9. Loot Crate Subscription

10. Ipsy Subscription

11. Bikini Wax

12. Dollar Shave Club

By the time all that stuff goes through, its a couple of Starbucks runs and lunches to hit the 20.

Message 18 of 41
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@js0319 wrote:

I run about $3k/month through my PRG, which is my daily usage card. I don't have EDP yet, but hope to apply next month. We spend about $1800/mo. at grocery stores alone - family of 5. 

That is a lot of grocery charges a month.  Once I got the EDP I cancelled the my PRG before the AF kicked in.  If your spending that much a month on groceries the EDP will still beat out the PRG.  50400 - 43200.  Not including the EDP over the PRG on gas.  If and when you get the EDP I would call Amex and ask to cancel they might offer you a retention bonus I have heard some people getting offered 50k.  I got offered 15k but that wasn't enough for me to keep the card.

Message 19 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@js0319 wrote:

At that level, consider the Blue Cash.   Cash rather than MR, but 5% rather than 2MR, so which is better depends on your redemption rate.

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.