cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex ED/ EDP. How are you maximizing your 20-30 transactions?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amex ED/ EDP. How are you maximizing your 20-30 transactions?

@ezdoesit wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Some people certainly ran into this with Chase, with the old 10+10 Freedom bonus, some guy had a bill with 300+ pages of microtransactions, each earning 10c.  He got shut down.

Some slight difference though, that was making money whereas this is just trying to meet a threshold, but probably good to avoid if possible.

A common suggestion is self-checkout groceries.  You can buy one thing at a time, making it fairly easy to reach the target.

The only possible negative thing with self checkout and buying one thing at a time is the merchant might still count it as one transaction.

ex. I bought two things on Ebay recently and paid with paypal which is linked to my EDP.  I received a email from Amex saying the same thing and in it it also said that while their system my show it as individual purchases the merchant my count it as one.  They also gave a list of examples of merchants who might do this.

So it's not enough if Amex records it as multiple, its what the merchant does that counts?

Message 21 of 41
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Some people certainly ran into this with Chase, with the old 10+10 Freedom bonus, some guy had a bill with 300+ pages of microtransactions, each earning 10c.  He got shut down.

Some slight difference though, that was making money whereas this is just trying to meet a threshold, but probably good to avoid if possible.

A common suggestion is self-checkout groceries.  You can buy one thing at a time, making it fairly easy to reach the target.

The only possible negative thing with self checkout and buying one thing at a time is the merchant might still count it as one transaction.

ex. I bought two things on Ebay recently and paid with paypal which is linked to my EDP.  I received a email from Amex saying the same thing and in it it also said that while their system my show it as individual purchases the merchant my count it as one.  They also gave a list of examples of merchants who might do this.

So it's not enough if Amex records it as multiple, its what the merchant does that counts?

Yes according to their email.  They sent me the email minutes after paying my second ebay item with paypal.

Message 22 of 41
creditFiend
Established Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:

IF one has Amazon prime. you can buy small priced items that are free shipping. Smiley Wink or subscribe and save orders, too!

Good tip!  I also have some subscribe & save orders through Amazon; & Drugstore.com (through ShopRunner- Free 2day shipping).

Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 23 of 41
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@js0319 wrote:

I run about $3k/month through my PRG, which is my daily usage card. I don't have EDP yet, but hope to apply next month. We spend about $1800/mo. at grocery stores alone - family of 5. 

At that level, consider the Blue Cash.   Cash rather than MR, but 5% rather than 2MR, so which is better depends on your redemption rate.

Does Amex still offer the card on their website or do you have to google it to find it.

Message 24 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

You can google or use private/incognito browsing.  Then on the Amex site look for the Blue Cash Everyday, and Learn More.  There is a link "looking for an earlier version of the Blue Cash card" and that takes you to the page where you can apply.

Or, cut and paste this into incognito browser

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330
Message 25 of 41
creditFiend
Established Contributor

Does anyone else have any interesting methods for obtaining the 20-30 swipes? Or offer suggestions?
Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 26 of 41
Diamond4g63

This is a fitting first post for me, as my observations since I discovered myfico 4 months ago have completely altered my approach to credit (a heartfelt "Thank You" to the community!).

Ive had my EDP for almost 2 months. I ran 62 purchases through it in the first 20 days (for $1400+) and currently have 71 purchases with 4 days left till statement cuts (for about $1200). I buy coffee every morning and often multiple times throughout the day where I work [some purchases are for $0.56 refills] - each as their own tranactions that are coded as Grocery (even at one of my local gas stations). Plus grocery and incidentals that I don't feel like putting on my CSP or my Cap1 QS (which I use mainly for utility type bills). I used my bank Visa debit card primarily for all of these purchases prior to getting my EDP, so for me it was just a change to a different card - the reason I got this card in the first place :-) 

I also made my wife and daughter AU's when I activated the card for a cushion because I didn't think I would swipe my card 30 times a month consistently - I underestimated my abilities immensely lol. 

This is a great card as I never cared about rewards - but now this is a fun new game within the game for me. Thanks for opening up this discussion, and I hope I offered a few ideas, too.

Message 27 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And just be careful that you aren't making too many unnecessary purchases just to meet the 30!   Or buying with this card things which would have bigger rewards on other cards.

Message 28 of 41
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

And just be careful that you aren't making too many unnecessary purchases just to meet the 30!   Or buying with this card things which would have bigger rewards on other cards.

Unfortunately this is what happens with reward programs.  It starts out great then people over do it and then the CCC has to make changes to protect their profits.  I wonder how many programs would still be around if people didn't try to find that loophole.   Now with the internet as soon as these are found their is a forum that explains how to take advantage of the system. 

Message 29 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Unfortunately this is what happens with reward programs.  It starts out great then people over do it and then the CCC has to make changes to protect their profits.  I wonder how many programs would still be around if people didn't try to find that loophole.   Now with the internet as soon as these are found their is a forum that explains how to take advantage of the system. 

Oh, I wasn't talking about that side of things ("abuse" in issuer language!).   More "Oh, I will get an extra cup of coffee, as that will help me meet 30", so not doing micro purchases, just buying more stuff than you would otherwise do.   A problem with reward cards in general, but I think this magnifies it, as you have a monthly target to meet, each month.

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.