Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex ED-What am I missing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex ED-What am I missing?

What am I missing here on the ED card? Why would anyone get this card versus the BCE? ED is supermarkets and gas... (3/2) and BCE is the same but adds drugstores.

Is it just for those who like the Membership Rewards System versus cash back?

Usually there is something I am misssing. Lol.
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex ED-What am I missing?

@Anonymous wrote:
What am I missing here on the ED card? Why would anyone get this card versus the BCE? ED is supermarkets and gas... (3/2) and BCE is the same but adds drugstores.

I initially applied because I was receiving mail offers for the card, scores barely 700, highest limit at the time was 4000 on amazon, but 3000 on a major card. Instant 5k approval.  Only got 15k bonus points (the highest is 25k on the ED).  Good thing about this card, its a no annual fee place to park MR points.  So between all their specials, its  great to have.  Just wish I could get an APR reduction down from 17%!  Heck, any of my amex revolvers but delta. Ideally I'd love to have 5-7% on my SPG and move most of my CL there.

Also, each card gets its own set of amex offers!

The Preferred version is a bit nicer if you plan on traveling.  Its easy to earn 50% more points, so becomes 1.5 MR/$ spent on everything, then 3xMR at gas stations, and 4.5x at grocery stores.  You can get more than 1 cent per point in value if you transfer points the right way, especially to flying blue.

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx-so really it is the ability to park MR points and be in the MR program.

Other than that I see BCE better-it adds drugstores and the other categories are the same and same amount back. Both have no AF and both come with a bonus to start.

Maybe I should look at the MR program benefits and details and see if that is something I should be getting into then. Maybe the card will make more sense to me then.

Thx again for the reply.
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Other than that I see BCE better-it adds drugstores and the other categories are the same and same amount back. Both have no AF and both come with a bonus to start.

Maybe I should look at the MR program benefits and details and see if that is something I should be getting into then. Maybe the card will make more sense to me then.

Thx again for the reply.

Drugstores are not part of BCE.

Message 4 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thx again for the reply.

Drugstores are not part of BCE.

Right, drugstores are covered by the BC (aka OBC) which is a very different card.

Just to expand a little:   THe ED was the first card with no annual fee that allowed the transfer of points to partners without any other card  (now some free Citi cards allow very limited transfers as well)   For those into the MR program, one MR can be worth much more than 1%, so the base 1.2MR with 20 swipes a month can be good (and 2.4 on supermarkets easily beating the 3% for BCE).

But a lot of people here got the card without understanding the program, and then get disappointed finding that MRs really aren't as easy to use as cash and so get a worse rate of return.

Message 5 of 23
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If you want cash, the BCE is the better bet. MR points are best suited for travel redemption. So it depends on your goal. Don't just look at the earn rates, look at what the points can get you
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
If you want cash, the BCE is the better bet. MR points are best suited for travel redemption. So it depends on your goal. Don't just look at the earn rates, look at what the points can get you

^ this exactly.

If you travel even 1-2 times per year (by travel I mean plane tickets, hotel, etc not a road trip to stay at your aunt's house) MR are more valuable than cents, so the ED would be the card to use over BCE.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It definitely depends on what you want from the card itself. I have the ED and the BCP. My plan has always been to move my ED credit line to my BCP and close the ED but at this point I think I may do it the opposite since I find the MR points more worth my while (especially when I can get MR points with both my ED and my PRG). 

Message 8 of 23
redpat
Senior Contributor

It's easy, you like to travel or you don't like to travel.

Remember MR points are best for airfare.  Chase UR rewards w/ CSR and with better hotel transfer partners have more flexibility.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I meant department stores, not drug stores
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.