Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Essentials coming to US?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Essentials coming to US?

@thummel wrote:
I disagree that a low APR card without any rewards would be pointless. Mabye to you it wouldn't serve a purpose but there are plenty of people out there that would take a low APR card without rewards like the Ring from Barclay. If it wouldn't even have been slightly successful it wouldn't be around by this time. Sometimes people just want a basic card that has a great locked in rate.

I agree with you 100% and that's why I applied for the Barclay Ring. Rewards mean different things to different people. To me, the Ring does have rewards they come in the form of no balance transfer fees, $3 cash advance fee, and a low APR.Smiley Happy With that said, I understand the previous poster meant traditional rewards (ie: points, miles, & cash back).

Message 31 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Xistaben2 wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

I googled it and it appears the fixed APR is 14.99% F?

They advertise the fixed rate as being low, but IMO it's still too high for me to be interested, even if they introduced it into the U.S.

ETA:  do we mean "fixed" as in "fixed-rate APR", or a specific offered variable APR, instead of a range?

Yeah, 14.99% isn't going to cut it - my EDP was 13.14% at approval and Ring is 8.25% for everyone.

I know the Ring is still variable I thing, but its soft fixed as a certain % over prime.

Does the Barclays Ring even have rewards? 

I checked around and a product manager said, "we can't afford to offer rewards with the 8.25% rate we offer with this card." 

Yeah okay, that's why credit unions can offer rewards cards with rates around there or lower. 

As much as Barclays tries to pretend they care about the customer, they don't. In fact, they probably have the worst customer service in the industry as well as the worst lineup of cards. 

At least this AMEX would have a rewards program and the second best customer service in the industry. A credit card without a rewards program is pointless to use. 

You can't really compare a Credit Union and a Bank... One is a non profit and well the other sole purpose is to make one... A credit union can offer that because its not a Bank and vise versa with Banks... 

I already know that. 

I'm making a point that Barclays pointed out the obvious by saying their shareholders come first and not their customers, which doesn't make them look good. Of course Barclays can actually afford to give a rewards program with this card... Inflation is 2%, rewards are 1%, and the rest (6.25%) is given to shareholders and used for operating costs. On top of that there's interchange fees Barclays makes money from which can also go to shareholders and used for fraud losses. 

Barclays could offer a 1% cash back rewards program for the Ring, but they decide not to. 

I don't want to get too far off topic here, so I'll just say a new AMEX card would be pretty exciting, as long as it has a few benefits not seen in the industry by their competitors. I like how AMEX offers a 6% cash back on groceries card, so lets see if they can bring this card out with something similar... Say something like 5% back at book stores (including Amazon) and 5% back on restaurant purchases (up to $3,000 per quarter, 1.5% after) and then 1.5% on all other purchases--I think that would be a card to catch a particular group of people's eyes.

Believe it or not, some people could care less about rewards and would just prefer the low interest card for the occasional balance transfer or when they need to carry a balance, so this is where the Ring comes in. We have to keep in mind that what doesn't work for us works perfectly fine for others and vice versa. Additionally some people carry cards like the ring to complement their rewards cards, nothing like claiming rewards on a rewards structure card and balance transferring it away to a low interest card like ring. Perhaps Barclays could offer a rewards structure on the ring, but they don't really need to because it serves it's purpose and people gladly apply for it, just like a Chase slate serves a purpose, different strokes for different folks. 

Well said creditguy.

Message 32 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't want to get too far off topic here, so I'll just say a new AMEX card would be pretty exciting, as long as it has a few benefits not seen in the industry by their competitors. I like how AMEX offers a 6% cash back on groceries card, so lets see if they can bring this card out with something similar... Say something like 5% back at book stores (including Amazon) and 5% back on restaurant purchases (up to $3,000 per quarter, 1.5% after) and then 1.5% on all other purchases--I think that would be a card to catch a particular group of people's eyes.

I never get these sort of proposals, made in the absence of economic data indicating whether this is viable or not.   As I suggested to an earlier proposal of yours, if this is such a win, get funding and issue it yourself!    I mean, a 10% back on everything card would be great!   So would a 20% one.  And.....     But there are financial constraints that the banks operate under which we do not know.

5% cash back isn't unusual at all. Discover and Chase both have cards with 5% rotating categories, with caps of course. What I suggested had a cap of 5% up to $1,000 a month for both categories combined. There's also cards out there where the benefits can cost the bank $1,000's a year but the annual fee is only $450 a year---this card wouldn't have those kind of benefits. 

You're also forgetting AMEX charges many merchants a higher % per transaction and is their own bank... So I think they can afford to give out a card like the one I proposed. Add in a higher minimum APR, and this card could easily be given out by them... It's like saying AMEX can't afford to give out the BCP, PRG, or the Platinum, none of which are cost effective to them if the cardholder uses the card to the fullest potential.  

Sometimes you have to eat into some of your profit margins if you want to have an eye-popping product on the market. It's not like AMEX wouldn't have any other cards to bring in money, and the competition is heating up fast. 

The competition is heating up maybe (although most recent new cards have been very similar to one another), but not so much for 5% cards. Most 5% cards have gotten narrower/more restrictive over time or gone away completely. It seems doubtful Amex is going to come out with a 5% bookstore card. You have to remember that the "bookstore" Amazon thing is just a side effect, not really an intentional thing. None of the "bookstore" cards mention "works on Amazon!"; it just happens to.

I'd love to see a 5% dining card, but it seems banks don't favor dining much as a category. I think they feel most people spend more on groceries/gas than eating out and if you cut your budget you're going to cut dining before groceries in most cases. For whatever reason there aren't a lot of super compelling dining cards. Discover and Freedom do 5% dining one quarter at least, though of course there's no guarantee that will continue.

I think issuers feel that most consumers prefer flat rate structures, and few complications, in getting their rewards, which is why you see so many new flat rate cards. This means I don't think we will see a card with categories coming out soon. But, you never know, just seems that flat rate is the trend. Most consumers don't want to be bothered with remembering categories.

AMEX has a card that gives 6% back on groceries, up to an (average of $500 a month) or $6,000 a year, with a $95 annual fee of course. They also have a card already with three categories of 5% back on purchases between $6,500 and $50,000 in spend during the course of the year. (supermarkets, gas stations, and drugstores) while providing 1% on everything else.  

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/site/card/blue-cash/25330?linknav=US-Acq-CCSG-Prospect-VAC-BlueCash-CardTitle

I stand by what I said and I think AMEX could afford it. 

Message 33 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There's been some mis information in this thread from some folx regarding the Amex Essentials card in Canada.  The offered interest rate there is 8.99%.

http://www.moneysense.ca/news/american-express-introduces-a-new-low-rate-credit-card/

Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering where the 14.99% came from but someone already produced that link.

Message 34 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@darwin_wins wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Picture? 

@Anonymous wrote:
The Amex Essentials card looks like the old zync card did but isn't yet offered here. It just dropped in Canada after runs in the UK and Australia.

The main selling point is the low fixed interest rate. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether it'll drop here in the US? As well as open discussion on the card.

https://www.americanexpress.com/au/content/essential-credit-card/

Here re is the link to that card from Australia. Looks pretty cool, wouldn't mind if AmEx introduces old Zync card again. 

Thanks for providing the link!

Message 35 of 41
Berk
Established Contributor

I've read nothing after the first post but don't we have enough Amex products already in the US of A? 

Message 36 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could find a home for a low APR card, from American Express, in my arsenal. I would like the ability to do balance transfers without a fee just like the Ring, or it could offer both like the IT. Amex's SP CLI policy for every X amount of days would be a bonus. I would be willing to part with my Ring for it.Heart

Message 37 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Berk wrote:

I've read nothing after the first post but don't we have enough Amex products already in the US of A? 

We don't have a basic low APR credit card from them. I know we can lower our APR on current cards through consumer request, but it would be nice to start with a low APR card comparable to the Ring.

Message 38 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@Berk wrote:

We don't have a basic low APR credit card from them. I know we can lower our APR on current cards through consumer request, but it would be nice to start with a low APR card comparable to the Ring.

In my opinion, a low APR card without rewards isn't in American Express' business model or their target market. 

I think when people apply for an American Express Card they're looking for rewarding card products with rewarding benefits that go above and beyond anything Visa, MasterCard, and Discover offer. These are the same customers that don't like to carry a high balance that cancels out the rewards because of the interest charges. 

Besides it would also be a statement from AMEX that their customers like to carry balances, so now they "should" release a card which has a sub-10% interest rate. In reality, most AMEX users have good to excellent credit and don't like to carry balances anyways... Or they carry small balances from month to month. 

Message 39 of 41
kdm31091
Super Contributor

A low APR card wouldn't really excite me. If I carry a balance it's a temporary necessity, not something I plan on. While it's nice to have a low APR for those situations, it's also easy for a low APR card to be an excuse to overspend and pay the minimum. I don't think that's the customer Amex really wants to be honest.

No fee BTs, again, are nice, but not something I need consistently, so I wouldn't apply for a card just for that. Everyone's different though.

Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.