cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex EveryDay Preferred Card: How long between successful CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex EveryDay Preferred Card: How long between successful CLI?

I've had an Amex EveryDay Preferred card for just shy of a year which I actually use frequently.  I keep my balance pretty low, hovering between 15%-5% balance from month to month.  
I got an automatic increase a little over a month ago (it was small, i think $1500).  Today on a whim, I clicked the CLI request button on the my account page and was approved.  

The downside:  I think i requested too little (ended up with $10k limit).  Salary is low six figures, no negative anything on my credit, but i only started establishing credit two years ago (100% blank before that).  

A bit of googling shows that i possibly should have requested more, but i'm not 100% due to my thin-ish credit.  More curious than anything else, I did the same with my Cap1 Quicksilver, but unfortunately the process didn't allow me to select an ammount and immediately offered $2500 increase which I accepted.  

Now I'm wondering-- 1) SHOULD i have requested more on my Amex?  And to that point, 2) When is the next time Amex will accept a CLI request on this card?  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amex EveryDay Preferred Card: How long between successful CLI?

180 days after a successful customer initiated request.

Could you have got more?  No idea!  Do you really need more?  Probably not but maybe

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I don't need more, but I'm willing to take a nicer credit to debt ratio!  

Thanks for the clarification on 180 days, that's good to know.

Message 3 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

That is a good clarification because I've seen different info on this, and never quite had the sense that I was seeing the definitive answer. I think it's 180 and for 1 account.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, this is across all your Amex cards.  So once you get a customer-initiated CLI on one card, you have to wait 180 (probably 181 to be safe) days before asking for one on ANY other Amex card.

Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Now I'm wondering-- 1) SHOULD i have requested more on my Amex?  

I'd say aim high with AmEx.  They will counteroffer if you qualify for less.  If they deny then you didn't qualify for anything.

Don't overlook the 3x CLI Guide (Google to find) as it covers this as well as your other question and much more.

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had an Amex EveryDay Preferred card for just shy of a year which I actually use frequently.  I keep my balance pretty low, hovering between 15%-5% balance from month to month.  

Carrying 5-15% or just having 5-15% report?  If it's the latter that's good but it's never just about the one account itself.  If it's the former then work on getting to where you're paying every statement balance in full.  Your entire credit profile and your income matter for CLI's with any creditor.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.