Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Everyday -- Add Daughter as AU?

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Amex Everyday -- Add Daughter as AU?

Hello,  

I have had an Amex account since 1997 (Optima), which has a perfect credit history.   I was approved for the Amex Everyday Card about three weeks ago.  I am just wondering if this new account would be a good account to add my daughter to as an AU?  She currently has one student loan TL with perfect history, a US Bank card in just her name ($500 CL) in perfect history and a Capital One that she is an AU on, with perfect history.  I am just wondering if it could be healthy for her to be an AU on my Everyday card as well.  

Thanks! 

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2023: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $48.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $22.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $21K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $296K
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $10 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Everyday -- Add Daughter as AU?

She would benefit from it without a doubt as it relates to her overall credit stance. Would she actually have the physical card in her possession? Or is this to help her out credit wise?
Message 2 of 17
EW800
Valued Contributor

Thank you for your input!  

Good question in regard to having her carry the card or not.  I am not sure.  She does carry the CapOne card that she is an AU on, and I allow her to charge fuel to it every now and then.  I probably would have her carry the card, as I completely trust her.  Helping her get credit going is the primary goal.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2023: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $48.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $22.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $21K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $296K
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $10 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Giving your daughter AU on an AMEX is certainly a great gift.

You don't have to give her the card, just getting her foot in the door and the 2015 MSD alone is a huge gift.  

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think its a really nice thing to do Smiley Happy I'll be adding my son to my account this year on his 18th birthday. Dont think I'll actually give him the card at that time but I may allow him to use it now and then.

Edit: its this year not next year. Keep forgetting its 2015 Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 17
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

Thank you for your input!  

Good question in regard to having her carry the card or not.  I am not sure.  She does carry the CapOne card that she is an AU on, and I allow her to charge fuel to it every now and then.  I probably would have her carry the card, as I completely trust her.  Helping her get credit going is the primary goal.  

Ok, then that is great.  If you are good with giving her the card, go for it.  Having her on as an AU helps no matter what.  Just thinking that if she were to lose the card or there is some type of fraud that happens to the one she has, it would be a pain and could have a neg impact on your report, depending on the scenario.  Of course that can happen to you as well, but having two physical cards out there, double the chance.  But I am generally over-cautious as it is!  Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 17
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

It will set her MSD on any AMEX cards she gets on her own in the future. A great idea in my opinion.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 7 of 17
Tszone
Regular Contributor

I just added my son today, only take a few minutes and you can do it online.

Message 8 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

As a clarification, my understanding is that when an AU is added to an AMEX card, the main cardholder (me) can set a credit limit for the AU card? So I could set a limit of $100 on the AU card, is that correct?

And get text notifications each time the card is used?

And the AU gets their own monthly statement they have to pay?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

As a clarification, my understanding is that when an AU is added to an AMEX card, the main cardholder (me) can set a credit limit for the AU card? So I could set a limit of $100 on the AU card, is that correct?

And get text notifications each time the card is used?

And the AU gets their own monthly statement they have to pay?

Is that how it works? If so thats great! I'd like an answer to this too please

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.