cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Everyday Credit Card- Opinions? Experiences? News?

tag
Joebunaga
New Contributor

Amex Everyday Credit Card- Opinions? Experiences? News?

I was considering apping for this to have a long term MR card.  The Everyday seems like a decent card, especially if the 10k sign up bonus is still valid. I also considered the Amex Blue, but when I was looking at it on Amex's website I noticed a red letter warning saying I wasn't eligible for the card(which is odd since I've never apped for any of the Blues, just the Jetblue and the Green).

As it is I don't use the Green all that much and would prefer the Everyday since I can at least accumulate a few more points on grocery purchases without an AF.

I searched a few threads and see a few people have apped for the Everyday but most folks seem to still be going for the BCE/BCP, so I"m looking for more info.

I can't believe you like money too. We should hang out.

FICO(Barclay1\22\15) TU: 798 | FICO EX: 780 | FICO EQ(2\12\15):808 | In the Garden from 5/8/14 until ???
UFCU Visa $5k | Cap1 QS $10K | Jetblue Amex $18K | CSP $6.5K | Amex Green (NPSL) | Chase Freedom $18k | Sallie Mae WMC $15.5k| BoA 1-2-3 Visa $7.5k | Amex Everyday $16k | Amex Fidelity $10k |
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Everyday Credit Card- Opinions? Experiences? News?

I just got my ED, but my experience with Amex customer service has been great so far.  I got it because it was free and because the 30 transaction min on EDP is just slightly too much for me to hit every month.  I also didn't yet have an amex and wanted to set a member since date + earn MR with a revolver.  Since I think it takes a billing statement for MR to credit, I can't comment on the rewards yet.

BCE does not earn MR, it is strictly a cash-back card, and it is not the best card for its purpose when compared to other readily available cash-back choices.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Joebunaga wrote:

and see a few people have apped for the Everyday but most folks seem to still be going for the BCE/BCP, so I"m looking for more info.

There's a few reasons for this:

1) Newness.  People here have heard of the other cards and not so much the Everyday

2) Lack of knowledge of MR program

So people see the ED gives 1.2MR on non-category spending (with 20 swipes a month) and equate that to 1.2% which is worse than say Capital One QS.  This is somewhat similar to say Freedom, where some people redeem the UR as cashback.  There it is more understandable, as you need other cards to get the value, with Everyday, that card alone is enough.

So as a number of us have said for a while, the choice is relatively clear:  If you can use MRs "well", getting say 2c per point, then the Everyday or Everyday preferred is the card to go for.   If you don't want to travel, or can't be bothered with transfers, get the BCP or Sallie Mae (which I see you have).  Don't get the BCE!

Message 3 of 9
Joebunaga
New Contributor

I understand BCE is a cashback card, I guess I'm just surprised more people aren't going for the ECC.

In hindsight, if you aren't trying to earn/build up MR the BCE looks to be a better card. 

**Hehe, didn't get this up before lurker pretty much said the same thing, thanks**

FICO(Barclay1\22\15) TU: 798 | FICO EX: 780 | FICO EQ(2\12\15):808 | In the Garden from 5/8/14 until ???
UFCU Visa $5k | Cap1 QS $10K | Jetblue Amex $18K | CSP $6.5K | Amex Green (NPSL) | Chase Freedom $18k | Sallie Mae WMC $15.5k| BoA 1-2-3 Visa $7.5k | Amex Everyday $16k | Amex Fidelity $10k |
Message 4 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

No, because the Sallie Mae is a better choice than BCE!   So if you want cashback, go for that or BCP or BC.

Message 5 of 9
Joebunaga
New Contributor

To clarify what I'm trying to express.

If you want to stay in the Amex family, and don't care about MR but don't want an AF. The BCE is a better choice over the ECC(or whatever its called).

Message 6 of 9
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Joebunaga wrote:

If you want to stay in the Amex family, and don't care about MR but don't want an AF. The BCE is a better choice over the ECC(or whatever its called).

2.4 MR is greater value than 3% cash back.  But, yes, for someone who didn't want cards with any other lenders for some reason and does not know how to use their MR rewards, BCE is the other option.  Amex does not offer many choices for free cards.  I think the majority of people who apply for the BCE, though, do it because they have not really researched other options or do not know about the ED cards yet.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 7 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

@Joebunaga wrote:

2.4 MR is greater value than 3% cash back.  But, yes, for someone who didn't want cards with any other lenders for some reason and does not know how to use their MR rewards, BCE is the other option.  Amex does not offer many choices for free cards.  I think the majority of people who apply for the BCE, though, do it because they have not really researched other options or do not know about the ED cards yet.

+1, a sort of special case!   Now if you want an Amex card, and don't mind other lenders, then you COULD get a BCE and Sallie Mae, and not use the BCE.   But in that case I still think you are better off getting the ED and not using that, just because it has more potential.

But I think DaveSignal and I are basically saying the same thing: some of those choosing BCE over ED  are not doing it after a great deal of research.  We see phrases like "Cash is king" where cliches substitute for analysis.   Others have decided that they are unlikely to use MR, because they don't travel, have large families and award travel would be too hard etc, but to repeat my earlier post, it's not a complex issue:  if you can use MR, go ED/EDP, if you can't SM/BCP/BC  (or SM AND BCE if you really need an Amex)

Message 8 of 9
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

@Joebunaga wrote:

+1, a sort of special case!   Now if you want an Amex card, and don't mind other lenders, then you COULD get a BCE and Sallie Mae, and not use the BCE.   But in that case I still think you are better off getting the ED and not using that, just because it has more potential.

But I think DaveSignal and I are basically saying the same thing: some of those choosing BCE over ED  are not doing it after a great deal of research.  We see phrases like "Cash is king" where cliches substitute for analysis.   Others have decided that they are unlikely to use MR, because they don't travel, have large families and award travel would be too hard etc, but to repeat my earlier post, it's not a complex issue:  if you can use MR, go ED/EDP, if you can't SM/BCP/BC  (or SM AND BCE if you really need an Amex)

Exactly as I would have said it. If UR wasn't around and better suited for me, I'd be all over the EDP card. There are some great values to be had. 25k avios round trip California to hawaii, with frequent 30% transfer bonus from MR to Avios is awesome., especially with the earning of this card. Or 59000 Iberia Avios roundtrip to France.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.