Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Everyday Credit Limit Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Everyday Credit Limit Question

Hey Guys, 

New to the forum, question on what I should expect my Amex Everyday CL to be. 

Me:

- Visa BankAmericard (10 yrs): $2k limit 

- Amex DL Plat (3 yrs): $15k limit (spend and pay off $5k/mo)

- Amex Green Card (4 yrs)

- Transunion Score 787

- Equifax Score 743

- $130k salary

I have a $10k purchase coming up and I want to take advantage of a 15k point, 0% APR for 12 month offer on the Amex Everyday. I intend to pay the $10k off during the 12 month 0% APR period. 

Should I expect to get a $10k limit? Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Thanks all for the advice. My application was approved with $25k limit. My Experian FICO was 752 (would be higher, but currently have higher balances on 2 cards near end of monthly billing cycle). 

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Everyday Credit Limit Question

One would think they'd be high since it's American Express.

Message 2 of 14
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

That is a tough call..  You already have a credit card with Amex for 15k.   Amex uses Experian  for approvals which you didn't list your score, but also Amex looks at obviously income, credit profile, DTI and of course your relationship with them among many other things.  No one can predict what a lender will give you although some basic guesses.  You might get 10k or possibly get 15k or maybe only 2k.  With that said how old is your other Amex card?  If it is over 13 months old you can use that as a donor card to your Amex Everyday card and transfer some or most of the CL over to the Amex ED card if you don't get a big enough limit.  

Some things to keep in mind before going down this path though.  American Express isn't really known to love people carrying large balances for prolonged periods of time.  Also another thing to keep in mind ideally you don't want to be anywhere near maxed being 90% on a particular card.  Ideally you want to be below 50% or even better 30%, but for sake 50% sounds good.   Also other people might have different thoughts on Amex and carrying large balances.  If you do this, make sure you make alot larger than minimum payments each month.  

There are many other good cards out there as well that make good 0% cards.  Citi, BofA, and pretty much any lender or CU has 0% cards.  Amex isn't really in my opinion the best lender to use a large 0% purchase with as you never know what you are initially going to get with a CL where-as other lenders you can kinda gauge these things a bit better.  Just food for thought on how to approach it with Amex or possibly other lenders.  Also 15k MR's isn't really a ton to be honest.

Message 3 of 14
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Hard to say...with thin file, they use EX at Amex right? Could be just have to see what they say, they also do a CLI in 61days or depending if the DL Plat is 13mths u could transfer some of it's CL to the ED...
Congrats on your new ED and Welcome 2 the forum...

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a 13 month old everyday with a 15k starting limit but only got 2k in a new preapproved BCE. However I transferred the whole limit to the new card and closed the everyday. I got 15mos 0 int. and a $150 signup bonus on the BCE. 13.24% after the promo. I also have a 25 year old senior gold. Ex FICO was 708 at time of app. $57k income. New car loan not reporting yet for $20k. This might be an option for you.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I had a 13 month old everyday with a 15k starting limit but only got 2k in a new preapproved BCE. However I transferred the whole limit to the new card and closed the everyday. I got 15mos 0 int. and a $150 signup bonus on the BCE. 13.24% after the promo. I also have a 25 year old senior gold. Ex FICO was 708 at time of app. $57k income. New car loan not reporting yet for $20k. This might be an option for you.

I similarly had an existing TE for a few years that had gotten a few CLIs (don't recall the limit), got a BCP 4/15 for $5k and 3x immediately to $15k. When I applied for EDP in Sept (downgrading BCP to BCE) I got only $2k. Not really useable as an everyday card. The BCP was too new to be a donor (I would have PCd if they'd have let me.) I was able to move CL from the TE and a month or so later 3x and recently another auto CLI and then requested a CLI and had to do a 4506T for $25k. But I'm carrying about $10k at 0% until December and not really sweating it. 

My points being that just because you have a nice sized TL with them, doesn't mean the next one will be. And if you know their rules, you can sometimes make them work for you. GL

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your experian score is similar to the other two scores you should at least get a decent limit. Hard to say exactly what it will be. Amex seems to like experian
Message 7 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

Given the income level, score, and spend / pay volume on the Delta card, I'm guessing it's at least 10k, likely $15k.

And FWIW, this doesn't look like a thin file to me.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 14
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forum! I would think it would be a decent limit also. One thing you will learn on here though, is that your mileage may vary (ymmv) when it comes to just about anything. You always want to keep that in mind.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all for the advice. Following up to let you know that I was approved with $25k limit. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.