cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Everyday easier to get than Blue Cash?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Everyday easier to get than Blue Cash?

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

I highly doubt that there's a difference in underwriting for these two cards. I've had many AmEx revolvers over the years, and the only one I noticed that had easier underwriting criteria is the cobranded Gold Delta Skymiles card. 

+1

For what it's worth, I got a BCP (and a Green card) with two 6-year old COs, and I also had a BK7 in 2000 in which an Amex account was included. 

My EX at time of approval in April was 695.

Whaaaat? Wow lucky! Smiley Wink Also, there is quite a difference for someone with a 695 Fico score and someone in the mid-600s when it comes to approvals by Amex. I still believe the BCP has tougher UW requirements than the ED... but I was too chicken to test this theory out so I only tried for the ED card Smiley Happy

I agree with you as well.  And you're right, I was very lucky to be able to get 'back in' with Amex.  Smiley Happy  Actually, I applied for the Green card expecting to get declined, just to get a 'free' copy of my Experian FICO.  Well, surprise, surprise, it was approved! 

The only 'problem', though, is I honestly didn't (and still don't) have much use for a charge card.  So I had read about the '2-for-1' HPs with Amex, and I decided to go for the BCP,  which is what I really would have wanted to begin with... and it was approved as well.  Granted, I only got a $1K SL and after the promo the APR is 21.9%, but that's OK.  I just use it at Kroger and Publix, and I PIF each month, collecting 6% back for groceries.  Rinse, and repeat... Smiley Wink

In case you're wondering, yes, Amex does 'remember' what happened 15 years ago.  About two weeks after my approval, when I logged in online, instead of saying "Member since 2015" it started saying "Member since 1995".  Also, I was denied a CLI, and the letter said it was due to "...previous account experience with American Express", or something like that.  So it will likely be a long time before I get a CLI, if ever, but for my purposes I have what I need.Smiley Very Happy

They remember what happened 35 years ago. A day after I got my ED in January, the MSD changed to 1980.

Message 11 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO the Blue Am Ex cards have stricter underwriting than the ED, PRG, or Delta.

To get your foot in the door with a weak profile AAoA wise and a score in the upper 600's minimum, I would do PRG, and if approved ED, back to back.

Message 12 of 44
kdm31091
Super Contributor

PRG doesn't make sense (IMO) unless someone spends a ton.  Since OP was looking at a no AF card, suggesting one with a large AF that requires a lot of spend to overcome seems like it doesn't fit here.

Anyway, regardless of whether ED is easier to get than BCE, OP, will you get any use out of the ED's MR points? They are only useful for travel redemptions, or else you are getting less than 1% back if you take cash.

The point is that it doesn't matter what is easier. You need to get your score/file where it needs to be for the card you actually want: the BCE. Getting an ED or PRG or whatever just because it's easier makes no sense if they do not suit you.

Message 13 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

PRG doesn't make sense (IMO) unless someone spends a ton.  Since OP was looking at a no AF card, suggesting one with a large AF that requires a lot of spend to overcome seems like it doesn't fit here.

Anyway, regardless of whether ED is easier to get than BCE, OP, will you get any use out of the ED's MR points? They are only useful for travel redemptions, or else you are getting less than 1% back if you take cash.

The point is that it doesn't matter what is easier. You need to get your score/file where it needs to be for the card you actually want: the BCE. Getting an ED or PRG or whatever just because it's easier makes no sense if they do not suit you.

Right.   The whole "foot in the door" thing doesn't make much sense to me, you can wait until scores improve and get the card you want in most cases.   Now, with backdating, there used to be some justification with Amex, basically get your first Amex as early as you can and then all future Amex's will backdate to that, but that whole thing has stopped.

So as KDM says,   if you can use MR, fine, but if not, no point in getting PRG/ED etc.

Message 14 of 44
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Right.   The whole "foot in the door" thing doesn't make much sense to me, you can wait until scores improve and get the card you want in most cases.   Now, with backdating, there used to be some justification with Amex, basically get your first Amex as early as you can and then all future Amex's will backdate to that, but that whole thing has stopped.

So as KDM says,   if you can use MR, fine, but if not, no point in getting PRG/ED etc.

Yeah, I guess the jury's still out on the 'foot in the door', although for some people, depending on their profile, there may be something to it. 

If somebody has a weak profile that won't allow them to get approved for a credit product, but it will allow for a charge product, there's no harm in using the charge card to build history, to possibly allow for earlier approval for the credit product they actually want. 

Is this guaranteed?  Of course not, but it could help.  None of us here are (likely) aware of the algorithm Amex uses for their approvals, so as long as the individual doesn't mind the AF for the charge card (if there is one) then I say 'more power to them'.  Assuming they are responsible with it, it certainly can't hurt.

Message 15 of 44
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Yeah, I guess the jury's still out on the 'foot in the door', although for some people, depending on their profile, there may be something to it. 

If somebody has a weak profile that won't allow them to get approved for a credit product, but it will allow for a charge product, there's no harm in using the charge card to build history, to possibly allow for earlier approval for the credit product they actually want. 

Is this guaranteed?  Of course not, but it could help.  None of us here are (likely) aware of the algorithm Amex uses for their approvals, so as long as the individual doesn't mind the AF for the charge card (if there is one) then I say 'more power to them'.  Assuming they are responsible with it, it certainly can't hurt.

My usual response is that we have no concrete evidence/proof that positive history with the lender is any different than positive history with cards period.

As in, if you can't qualify for a BCE, so you get a starter account with Cap One and use it well for a year, who knows whether that is any worse than using a charge from Amex responsibly for a year? Credit history is credit history and either way, Amex sees it when they do the pull for the BCE app. So I don't know how much "foot in the door" truly matters. But that's just my opinion.

Message 16 of 44
joltdude
Senior Contributor

I could see how it might but this is just theroy.. Remember you have an internal score in addition to your FICO score.... we do know that some banks do value "Relationship" banking (Chase for instance)....   So I could see a charge card improving both your INTERNAL score at AMEX as well as your FICO score....  Example... Family member got a BoA card... didn't care for the limit..... called them... CSR was like.. your reports fine, but you don't have a relationship with us... He went.. I actually was planning on opening an savings or checking account... He dropped 500 into a savings account at BOA and literally minutes after the transaction took place.. the pending approval for his CLI was approved for an additional 1K.... Went back to the branch later and banker explained he established a "relationship" with bank and it increased his internal score from being just a card customer to being a banking customer.. AND I guess hes eligible for some deals on th card and gets more back on the card... Its a BBR....Think its an additional 10$ back quarterly due to being a banking customer.. Win Win...

Message 17 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sallie Mae is obvious for students and other people who spend less than $250 monthly on Groceries. For real world applications it's junk. I'd rather have BCP even with the annual fee. Even BCE with Freedom as a backup during the 5% is better since it allows more spending than SM.
Message 18 of 44
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Stoneheavy wrote:

My last three baddies wil fall off my Experian in October and I wanted to get an Amex Blue Cash Everyday to basically buy all my food and fuel and stuff with to earn cash back, but from what I've read, the regualar Everyday card (the grey/silver one) might be easier to obtain.  

There's a lot of dubious information out there.  You can refer to the Credit Pulls Database as suggested but even it has caveats as decisions are not made solely based on score.  I also doubt that udnerwriting is mich different.

Make sure you've carefully looked at the MR program and have ensured that you can make the most of MR points.  Otherwise, cash back might make more sense.  Also make sure you running the numbers for your spend.  If you're considering the BCE then you probably have not.  Depending on your spend the Sallie Mae, BCP or yet another card could be a better fit.

@joltdude wrote:

we do know that some banks do value "Relationship" banking (Chase for instance)....  

No, we don't.  That's something that people assume based on anecdotal evidence.  There is a chance that relationship can help in some cases but the primary factors will always be one's credit and income and one shouldn't count on relationship.

Message 19 of 44
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.