cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Everyday easier to get than Blue Cash?

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Everyday easier to get than Blue Cash?

@onstar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Sallie Mae is obvious for students and other people who spend less than $250 monthly on Groceries. For real world applications it's junk. I'd rather have BCP even with the annual fee. Even BCE with Freedom as a backup during the 5% is better since it allows more spending than SM.

It also has 5% cash back on gas and 5% cash back on Amazon. It's hardly junk.

With $250 and $750 caps on those too.  Useful for students (who it's allegedly geared towards) but not much else.  Also taking into account UR points for Chase and MR points for AMEX and the 'For You' offers AMEX gives its cardholders, there are better ways to spend than on a Sallie Mae or any Barclay card. 

Students only? What are you talking about? We barely spend $50 a month on gas or groceries, and I'm a working professional with a six figure income and my fiancee is a dentist who makes more money than me. Neither of has been a student in over a decade.

I think the majority of the people here spend <$250 a month on groceries and the same for gas, and I don't think a big portion of that is students. SM is a great card for a big chunk of Americans. I don't find it that useful either because we don't spend that much on groceries/gas, but I would hardly call it junk.

On the other hand, I agree that BCP is better than SM for groceries if your spend is high. My brother's family of 4 easily spend $500 a month on groceries. And I never calculate AF when considering the BCP (and neither should you) because you get at least 2x of the AF back from Amex Offers.

I could only wish i spent <$250 a month on gas and groceries. Easily $500 on Groceries and $1k on Gas. Only because it is cheaper right now.

Message 41 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly, but I will add that your high spend to validate the bcp will also cause you to reach the 6k cap which is why a SM and bce/bcp is a hot combo
Message 42 of 44
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Sallie Mae is obvious for students and other people who spend less than $250 monthly on Groceries. For real world applications it's junk. I'd rather have BCP even with the annual fee. Even BCE with Freedom as a backup during the 5% is better since it allows more spending than SM.

It also has 5% cash back on gas and 5% cash back on Amazon. It's hardly junk.

With $250 and $750 caps on those too.  Useful for students (who it's allegedly geared towards) but not much else.  Also taking into account UR points for Chase and MR points for AMEX and the 'For You' offers AMEX gives its cardholders, there are better ways to spend than on a Sallie Mae or any Barclay card. 

That's fine if Sallie Mae doesn't work for you. However, I think calling it "junk" is kind of harsh. If you called First Premier or Credit One "junk," I could understand that (although again, even they have their place), but a card with no AF that gives 5% back in useful categories (even with low caps) is not junk. Everyone's spend is different; UR is useless to me except for cashback and I have no interest in Amex (well at least with their current offerings, I'm not against them as a company, just none of their cards would work for me). 

For single people (or couples can each have their own), the caps are fine. I cannot even imagine spending $250 on gas in a month! (I know some do though) I live 20 minutes from work, have a 2013 Civic, and everything else I need (mall, Publix, Target, Wal-Mart) are all a five minute drive from where I live. I fill up once a month for about $25. -Most- people will not spend over $750 on Amazon a month (I'm talking about the average consumer, not the myFico population of huge spenders and high earners) and even the grocery cap is okay if you shop savvy (coupons, sales, BOGOs, etc) for one person. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 43 of 44
onstar
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@onstar wrote:

We barely spend $50 a month on gas or groceries, and I'm a working professional with a six figure income and my fiancee is a dentist who makes more money than me. Neither of has been a student in over a decade.

For two people combined? How? What do you two eat for $12.50 a week? And how much do you drive to spend that little?

I used to take the train to work, and the train station was 2.5 miles from home. Two months ago, we moved to a different city, and now, I work out of my home office. Takes about 15 seconds to get to my "office" from my bed, sometimes 30 seconds if there's a bit of traffic (two dogs). Sometimes, my car does not get driven for 2-3 days at a stretch. Fiancee works less than 2 miles from home.

We used to spend $2000 a month on restaurants, but since our move, we don't do that as much anymore. Not because we're cooking more at home, but because my cousin lives a few doors down, and she cooks dinner for us 3 days a week. And Thursdays, we usually go to market night to eat. We cook 1 to 2 meals at home a week. Also, my aunt delivers food to us on a semi-regular basis (it's one of those Asian things).

We are definitely not the norm.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 44 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.