Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Everyday right for me?

tag
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

Amex Everyday right for me?

I have the Amex BCE card that I got because I was going to make a $1,000 purchase for a new computer for work just to help take a $100 sting out of it. I'm just wondering now if it's worth getting the Amex Everyday? I would use it specifically as my grocery shopping card. Thing is I only spend about 2k a year in grocery. I would have intention for using the MR points for travel but getting 4k a year in MR when it would take me 3-4 years to get the cheapest award ticket out there. I still want to keep BCE as I want to have 1 or 2 cards with a couple issuers but again not sure if going 3-4 years is even worth chasing.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Everyday right for me?

@SkyCommander wrote:

I have the Amex BCE card that I got because I was going to make a $1,000 purchase for a new computer for work just to help take a $100 sting out of it. I'm just wondering now if it's worth getting the Amex Everyday? I would use it specifically as my grocery shopping card. Thing is I only spend about 2k a year in grocery. I would have intention for using the MR points for travel but getting 4k a year in MR when it would take me 3-4 years to get the cheapest award ticket out there. I still want to keep BCE as I want to have 1 or 2 cards with a couple issuers but again not sure if going 3-4 years is even worth chasing.

If you want a grocery shopping card, you should get the Blue Cash Preferred, it's 6% back on groceries up to $6,000 per year. Since the blue is cash back and not points, you dont' have to worry about MR points for travel when you can just apply the cash back towards it instead. 

In your case, you'd recieve $120 in cash back per year just on groceries compared to 4800 points on your current card. Neither of the $0 annual fee gray or blue cards are worth it over the ones with the annual fee, at least in my opinion. 

Message 2 of 5
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

Don't I have to spend much more than my standard 2k a year on grocery to make the AF worth it?

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 3 of 5
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

@SkyCommander wrote:

If you want to explore the MR program I really recommend two cards: first the Premier Rewards Gold card, which I have. This has several bonus categories. It is a charge card--so there is no getting locked into a bad interest rate. Fee is $195 but waived first year--also has $100 travel credit. For me it's worth it--this card is a MR machine. The second is the EveryDay Preferred, The key with this one is the 50% bonus on points every month you make 30 or more purchases. It has bonus categories too. This is next on my list, but am awaiting until I pretty much know or can demand the lowest interest rate.

With the bonuses from these cards alone you can jump start your MR points. I think there are 50K point offers floating out the for the Premier Rewards Gold card. The EveryDay Preferred has a lower point offer, but still a good one.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SkyCommander wrote:

Don't I have to spend much more than my standard 2k a year on grocery to make the AF worth it?

Well look at it from this prespective:

$2,000 in spend on a Blue Cash Preferrerd card on groceries is $120, minus the $95 a year annual fee.

$2,000 in grocery spend with the bonus for 30+ transactions a month on the  Everyday Preferred is 9,000 points, minus $95 annual fee. 

$2,000 in spend on a Blue Cash Everyday card on groceries is $60, with no annual fee.

$2,000 in grocery spend without the bonus for 20+ transactions a month on the Everyday  is 4,000, with no annual fee.

So yes, I guess if you only spend $2,000 a year on your card and just on groceries, the annual fee isn't worth it. Much more? No, but more nontheless. 

Currently your card gives you limited 2x points at supermarkets and 1x points everywhere else with the potential of a 20% bonus on those points if you use your card 20+ times per month. 

If you take your grocery spend and then upgrade your card to the Blue Cash Preferred, you'll get the 4% (more) back on groceries, unlimited 3% back on gas and at department stores, and 1% back on all other purchases. 

If you upgrade your card to the Everyday Preferred, you'll get limited 4.5 points per dollar on groceries, 3 points per dollar on gas, and 1.5 points per dollar on all other purchases. So if you have spend on another card that doesn't offer more than 1.5 points/cash back on every purchase, you're better off upgrading and switching your spend to the AMEX EDP card to utilize the points for travel. You'll get 9000 points on groceries, 4320 back on gas if you spend $30 on gas each week, and 14400 if you spend $200 a week on all other purchases using that card [per year], totaling 27,720 points. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.