Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Extended Warranty Benefit

tag
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Amex Extended Warranty Benefit

Hi!

My laptop just died last night on its own. It's 20 months since I purchased it on my Amex Green. If the extended warranty adds one year on top of the year provided by the manufacturer, it should still be covered. My problem is that I cancelled the Green card after one year. Does their coverage still apply or is it voided when you cancel the card? I am still am Amex member - I have their BCP.

Any ideas or should I call BCP customer service and ask?

Thanks!

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Extended Warranty Benefit

Ask AMEX about it. 

Message 2 of 8
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Called Amex. They said tough luck. :-(

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 3 of 8
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Mailak wrote:

I figured 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mailak wrote:

That would've been my guess. At least now you know it's card-specific and not company-specific.

Message 5 of 8
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Not exactly rejoicing in that new found wisdom.... Smiley Frustrated

And not exactly rushing to use my Amex for my new laptop purchase either. In effect, it's like a requirement from day of purchase to keep the card for another year... I don't know... I have a bit of a philosophical issue here. I can of course get that they wouldn't do it  as expected but it also seems to me that if you give an extended warranty at the time of purchase, then it should apply... it's not like they sell the extended warranty as a monthly subscription.

Hmph... oh well... nothing with Amex ever works out my way....

Message 6 of 8
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

It seems reasonable enough to have the expectation that all "benefits" of a card goes away if/when you cancel the card. I can't imagine how one would expect or even hope for otherwise.

Message 7 of 8
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Well, the rep did tell me about some of the circumstances in which the coverage would apply even after you didn't have that card anymore... But I wouldn't let that get in the way of your imagination.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.