Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Extended Warranty

tag
dsw283
New Contributor

Amex Extended Warranty

So I have the Amex BCE, and am planning on buying an ipad air for a christmas present.  Do I need to buy the apple car or will the Amex warranty be sufficient?  Just trying to figure out how legit this is.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
thecheese
Established Member

Re: Amex Extended Warranty

Apple Care and the Amex extended warranty both provide some slightly different things. With Amex, your 1 year iPad warranty will be extended to two years. That warranty, however, doesn't include accidental damage, theft, etc. I believe you get 90 days coverage for that type of stuff with Amex. If you get Apple Care, your accidental damage coverage is for two years (a maximum of two incidents in that timeframe which cost you $50 per replacement).

If you're not prone to accidents with your electronics, I'd say skip the Apple Care as I've heard the warranty claims process for Amex can be pretty painless.

Message 2 of 4
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Amex will also extend any manufactured-issued extended warranty, such as AppleCare. So I bought AppleCare on both my iPhone and iPad, and I have 3 years of warranty on both instead of two. Something else to consider.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 3 of 4
Open123
Super Contributor

While many fans of Apple care will vehemently disagree, I've never found it to be worth the cost.  In 20+ years of using Apple products, I've never had an occassion where Apple care (or, any kind of extended warranty) would have come in handy.

In my view, I'd go with the Amex's extended warranty, which gives you an additional year.  Given the speed in which technology becomes obsolete, if your iPad breaks in three years, it's infinitely better to just buy a new one, rather than fixing it.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.