tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex FR Fallout

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Charger_Fan19 wrote:

Thanks to all who posted. I'm going to see if I can get her an account at NFCU and have her balance transfer.

Yes

Cherry on top was losing her 500K in points. Smiley Mad

That is very bad.  Did they stop transfer when they started the FR? Harsh to keep it all!

The lesson from those that play closer to the edge: never leave large balances with cc accounts, because you never know!   Not that they are totally safe with say an airline, but more so, and the loss of flexibility is small compared to total loss as here.

Couddn't you take them to small claims court and possibly win?  I know there is wording and what not in T&C's, but wording isn't golden...  Account hasn't been defaulted on yet.   I think I would go the court route if anything ever happened to me like this..  No clue if I would win, but that is quite a bit of rewards on the table there

I'm under the impression that OP's mom closed the account without inquiring about the points... Doesn't seem like Amex's fault.  To me, it seems like Amex spotted an irregularity, asked for simple verification, and OP's mom flipped out and closed the account.  I see nothing wrong with what Amex did.  I certainly see nothing to take Amex to small claims over.  Call Amex, ask what your options are.  Find out if you can use those points to pay off a portion of your debt.

I don't think she closed the account, I think they closed the account for her due to not wanting to issue tax returns..  Slight difference.  I personally wouldn't mind providing them, but others take issue with it.  although telling them to "shove it" or whatever the workding was on the original post could be taken in many contexts whether she just said no to the transcripts or said close it.  So ya, you could be right then she would probably be forfeiting them

Message 21 of 24
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Exactly how much was on the charge card for AMEX to be freaking out about?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 22 of 24
Charger_Fan19
Contributor

Happycamper123 no need to be nasty, I don't really appreciate your comment. My mother simply decided not to continue the financial review because she was uncomfortable with them accessing her tax returns. She didn't freak out, she made a decision. She told the rep she wasn't going to allow them access to that information and they canceled the card. She said fine. That. She asked them about her points and they told her they would be available for her use. The next day she went to convert them to travelers checks or gift checks or whatever it's called and it wouldn't process. She called and was told the points were not redeemable because the account was canceled. Dollar wise I was charging about 4k a month to the card floating about 2500 month to month. As it stands now with the interest being so insane it's up to 6k balance. Minimum payment is around $400.

Starting Score: EQ 500 TU 500 EX 500
Current Score: EQ 647 TU 685 EX 684 9/2/16 Recommitted to Fico Health! Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 700
Message 23 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Charger_Fan19 wrote:
Happycamper123 no need to be nasty, I don't really appreciate your comment. My mother simply decided not to continue the financial review because she was uncomfortable with them accessing her tax returns. She didn't freak out, she made a decision. She told the rep she wasn't going to allow them access to that information and they canceled the card. She said fine. That. She asked them about her points and they told her they would be available for her use. The next day she went to convert them to travelers checks or gift checks or whatever it's called and it wouldn't process. She called and was told the points were not redeemable because the account was canceled. Dollar wise I was charging about 4k a month to the card floating about 2500 month to month. As it stands now with the interest being so insane it's up to 6k balance. Minimum payment is around $400.

OK, you may not get anywhere, but it's worth contacting the Amex EO, and saying that your mother was promised that she could use the points and then she found she couldn't.   It's certainly believable that had they told her the truth (card closure = loss of points) she might have reconsidered her position on the 4056-T (whether or not that is the case).

And if that doesn't work, write to the CFPB.   Credit card companies have to respond (usually by reiterating their original argument) but it does put them on notice that you take it seriously.  Then if you and she are up to, Small Claims Court is the next step.      You have a better argument than many, you were just using the card (no MS), they had concerns, then stole 500K of honestly earned points from a poor helpless  elderly woman (practicising your speech!)

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.