Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex FR during application process

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Amex FR during application process

@pdog661 wrote:

AMEX's default levels are the industry leader, and by far the lowest of all comsumer credit card companys.

Edit for an unclear statement.

Maybe it's because of all the FRs!  

Jokes aside, the issue with this is that FRs are triggered by a computer alogorithm.  If it triggers your account, there is little to avoid it.  For instance, what if your "legitimate" purchases start to mimic what their data terms as "deviant and outlier" behavior?  Then, your account could be potentially flagged for FR at a very inconvenient time.

For example, I've never used my card to pay for medical expenditures.  Say, I'm skiing and require medical attention.  I charge a huge medical bill while an "old" library collection erroneously hits my CR.  The charge may be refused, while I need to endure the full FR process before I can have my card reinstated.  Other issuers are less prone to be that preemptive.  

Message 11 of 22
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Happychap wrote:
One of the main reasons I wouldn't get an Amex is due to the high potential of getting declined while abroad due to a FR placing on my account. It's an uncertainty that I do not need, especially while abroad in a different country. At least with my other cards the chances of such action are very minimal or not at all. I need a reliable card not one with PMS.

Salient point.  

Another reason why Amex isn't really a "standalone" card anymore, aside from lesser acceptance and *only* one card with no forex fees.

I really don't understand this concern.  I think it's overblown as it is so simple to carry a backup Visa/Mastercard.  Everyone should carry a backup card anyway, because while Visa/Mastercard have broad acceptance, there is not complete overlap, and there can always be an unforseen issue with any bank.  I don't see why someone would pass on an Amex card that would be rewarding for that person's spend pattern simply because of fear of FR, which only happens to a negligible percentage of cardholders.  Even if you find FR to be intrusive, just use the card and reap the benefits until it happens, and then cancel.  The overwhelming likelihood is you will never experience it.

The no forex fees issue is a more legitimate concern in my opinion.  While I have the Platinum card, Amex could do better here by having more options.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 22
Happychap
Frequent Contributor

It's not that I worry about a foreign transaction shutting the card down, as that can apply to all cards due to a potential fraud alert, but that in itself is very easily dealt with with one phone call to confirm your ID.  However, a FR is not so easily dealt with and practically impossible to be dealt with when your abroad.   On the balance of possibilities a Amex will get a FR more than any other card in your wallet.  So for me anyway, its not a risk I can take. Even though  I love their rewards and all, its just too risky for all the travel l do, regardless if they try and promote themselves 'as all about travel'. A FR can happen any time to anybody. I carry several credit cards in my wallet as backup but Amex isnt part of them.

Message 13 of 22
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Aren't you mixing fears here?  There has been little correlation between traveling+declines and FR.  As I understand, FR is a situation driven by questionable profiles within AMEX's internal scoring algorithm.  That has little to do with foreign travel.  In fact, AMEX is one of the only creditors that does NOT require you to call them and post a travel advisory.

Let's keep the topics separated unless you can correlate these two.

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jake619 wrote:

Aren't you mixing fears here?  There has been little correlation between traveling+declines and FR.  As I understand, FR is a situation driven by questionable profiles within AMEX's internal scoring algorithm.  That has little to do with foreign travel.  In fact, AMEX is one of the only creditors that does NOT require you to call them and post a travel advisory.

Let's keep the topics separated unless you can correlate these two.

That is not neccessarily true. If the fact that you re oversees results in your spending habits change, as it surely will (charging all of your lodging, meals, entertainment and transportation tends to do that), this could trigger the system to pull an FR request. I would think that because of this, charging alot more because you are traveling, and not the actual act of traveling itself, would result in a higher chance for an FR as there is a greater chance to deviate from your patterns that would be the case were you home.

Just to be safe I will always be traveling with a second card and my deferred debit card.

Message 15 of 22
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That is not neccessarily true. If the fact that you re oversees results in your spending habits change, as it surely will (charging all of your lodging, meals, entertainment and transportation tends to do that), this could trigger the system to pull an FR request. I would think that because of this, charging alot more because you are traveling, and not the actual act of traveling itself, would result in a higher chance for an FR as there is a greater chance to deviate from your patterns that would be the case were you home.

Just to be safe I will always be traveling with a second card and my deferred debit card.

The problem with your statement is you're advancing a theory of what triggers FR.  Specifically, "charging alot more because you are traveling, and not the actual act of traveling itself, would result in a higher chance for an FR", you're inferring that the simple fact of charging habit devitation increases FR odds.  I disagree.

I still say this is mixing declines from deviation and FR.  FR is financial review, not you deviated from normal patterns.  To me deviation could raise concerns of theft and increase declines/suspend the account, but if I deviate and stay within the cards CL (charge cards included) then it's quite the reach to connect FR to it.

+1 to this: Just to be safe I will always be traveling with a second card and my deferred debit card.Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 22
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
725 fako from credit karma. My history is pretty short. Longest TL is October 2012.

Bingo

High reported income + acceptable FICO + Thin File = FR.

I would just be glad they didn't ding two reports with a HP.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jake619 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The problem with your statement is you're advancing a theory of what triggers FR.  Specifically, "charging alot more because you are traveling, and not the actual act of traveling itself, would result in a higher chance for an FR", you're inferring that the simple fact of charging habit devitation increases FR odds.  I disagree.

I still say this is mixing declines from deviation and FR.  FR is financial review, not you deviated from normal patterns.  To me deviation could raise concerns of theft and increase declines/suspend the account, but if I deviate and stay within the cards CL (charge cards included) then it's quite the reach to connect FR to it.

+1 to this: Just to be safe I will always be traveling with a second card and my deferred debit card.Smiley Happy

I will agree and disagree. What I was referring to would raise red flags to theft for most companies, but to Amex it seems that not only is the theft flag then waiving, but also the risk that this pristine person they allowed access to the inner sanctuary may not be as shiny, so just to be certain that this person who now appears to us (amex) to be riskier, can in fact pay these charges, lets conduct an FR. 

It just seems to me that Amex is so terrified of deviations being the sign of pending defaults that deviations caused by what I noted above, would be far more likely to result in an FR with Amex than any other company on earth. 

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repo-ed wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
725 fako from credit karma. My history is pretty short. Longest TL is October 2012.

Bingo

High reported income + acceptable FICO + Thin File = FR.

I would just be glad they didn't ding two reports with a HP.

Oh I wasn't complaining about it, it was a sound business decision. I was actually arguing that they should do this more if there is ANY doubt as it saves the potential embarrasment of it happening later and protects Amex from potential risk. 

And they did ding two reports Smiley Mad

Message 19 of 22
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Is a FR something common with Amex? I have a short history and was just instantly approved with them....is it common to be declined at a checkout??
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.