Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex FR for loading prepaid card?

tag
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

Amex FR for loading prepaid card?

I'm considering getting an Amex CC (not sure which one yet) and I'm interested in the bonuses some offer for spending a certain amount in the first few months. I thought I could just spend whatever extra I needed to meet the requirement by buying a gift card, but I don't really want to lock up hundreds or thousands of dollars on a store gift card, and apparently Visa and other "cash"-type gift cards can't be purchased with a CC. So then I saw that you can load a Serve card with a CC, but later I saw a post claiming that loading a prepaid card with an Amex CC could trigger a financial review. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but the whole thing seems like a PITA that wouldn't make it worth choosing a card just for the higher bonus.

So is there a way to get help reaching the bonus requirement that isn't going to make you a suspect? I don't even know how Amex would know a certain purchase was a prepaid card unless it was an Amex prepaid card, which obviously Serve is, but I'm assuming there are others I could use. Or are there any cash-like gift cards you can buy with a CC? I'm not interested in MS in general, it seems like a hassle and a good way to get on a CCC's bad side, but if other people are making a habit out of it, surely there's a way to do it once for this without Amex giving me the stink eye?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex FR for loading prepaid card?

@pdxmike wrote:
I'm considering getting an Amex CC (not sure which one yet) and I'm interested in the bonuses some offer for spending a certain amount in the first few months. I thought I could just spend whatever extra I needed to meet the requirement by buying a gift card, but I don't really want to lock up hundreds or thousands of dollars on a store gift card, and apparently Visa and other "cash"-type gift cards can't be purchased with a CC. So then I saw that you can load a Serve card with a CC, but later I saw a post claiming that loading a prepaid card with an Amex CC could trigger a financial review. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but the whole thing seems like a PITA that wouldn't make it worth choosing a card just for the higher bonus.

So is there a way to get help reaching the bonus requirement that isn't going to make you a suspect? I don't even know how Amex would know a certain purchase was a prepaid card unless it was an Amex prepaid card, which obviously Serve is, but I'm assuming there are others I could use. Or are there any cash-like gift cards you can buy with a CC? I'm not interested in MS in general, it seems like a hassle and a good way to get on a CCC's bad side, but if other people are making a habit out of it, surely there's a way to do it once for this without Amex giving me the stink eye?

I doubt you'd be FR'd, but there's no point of loading Serve with an Amex. You will not earn any points and it will not count towards minimum spend. Since most of the Amex spend minimums aren't too high, you could buy some gift cards to places you will go later on, try to get all your bills on the card, possibly even your rent, mortgage, or car payment (through a third party). If you need to pay your taxes, you can use your card, although there is a small fee for that. If any major purchases are coming up for you, definitely use the new card. One last thing you might consider would be to charge things for which you will be reimbursed. Yes, it is a hassle, but if you charge health or business expenses, or even have a family member's charge put on your card, you can be reimbursed and knock out a lot of spending.

Message 2 of 7
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

Is there something else I could load, then?
Message 3 of 7
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

If you cannot do the minimum spend with your regular spend  (if you run everything on that card)  I would think the card is probably not the right one for you ?

Message 4 of 7
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Buying VS/MC gift cards could lead to your account(s) with any lender shutdown because it's frowned upon.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 5 of 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

If you cannot do the minimum spend with your regular spend  (if you run everything on that card)  I would think the card is probably not the right one for you ?

Yes, and this subject should NOT be discussed here.  Please don't continue asking questions here.  Plenty of info via google.  I met spend for Amex by saving up purchases I needed,

Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Yes, and this subject should NOT be discussed here.  Please don't continue asking questions here.  Plenty of info via google.  I met spend for Amex by saving up purchases I needed,

I agree.  This is frowned on here as it has the tendency to get the thread derailed via heated arguments.  There is a lot of information via google.  There only thing I will add is becareful what company you buy from as Amex gets 3rd person reporting by seeing every since transaction purchased from a particular store.  So do your research before embarking on this journey.

Also, it will not be wise to load Serve with an Amex card.  If you can't figure it out, perhaps this idea should be ditched immediately.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.